INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitech Craft keyboard media keys only work on Mac (not Windows)  (Read 1688 times)

ohad

I have a Logitech Craft keyboard connected both to a Windows 10 PC and a Macbook Pro laptop.
JRiver 26 is installed on both.
Tthe media control keys work perfectly on the Mac.
On Windows however, they don't work unless JRiver is in focus.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
Re: Logitech Craft keyboard media keys only work on Mac (not Windows)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:15:53 pm »

I have the same issue with a fairly old Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, I have to have JRiver in focus for the media buttons to work. I have Logitech Setpoint installed.
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:30:30 pm »

Search the Options page for "Media key mode". Search box, bottom of Options window.

What do you have it set to?

I have it set to "Hot Keys" and it works fine when MC is minimised. The Wiki describes the different settings, I think. Search.

Logitech wired keyboard, Setpoint installed. I think it works fine on my wireless Logitech keyboard as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 01:24:04 pm »

Is Media Center set to use Internal Volume control?

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:47:06 pm »

Search the Options page for "Media key mode". Search box, bottom of Options window.

What do you have it set to?

I have it set to "Hot Keys" and it works fine when MC is minimised. The Wiki describes the different settings, I think. Search.

Logitech wired keyboard, Setpoint installed. I think it works fine on my wireless Logitech keyboard as well.

I have it set to Hot Keys too, I press Fn to access the traditional F-Keys

Is Media Center set to use Internal Volume control?

It was actually - I changed it but it doesn't make a difference. The media keys still only work when I have MC focused

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 07:39:34 pm »

What specific version of MC are you running? MC26.0.98? There was a recent tweak for Media Keys when running MC in Media Server mode.

I press Fn to access the traditional F-Keys

By Media Keys, we are talking about Stop, Play, Pause, Next, Previous, Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute aren't we?

I think how well, or even if, Media Keys work on PCs depends a lot on the hardware (including but not limited to motherboard, BIOS, onboard or separate Sound Card, etc.), drivers, and software on that particular PC.

For example, my Workstation uses a Logitech G15 wired keyboard which has separate physical Media Keys. Setpoint is running. With Media Keys set to "Hot Keys" in MC all keys work, including Volume Up and Down, which controls the MC Internal Volume, while the System volume is set to maximum during playback by my device audio settings. These keys even work in Media Server mode, as I have "Translate hot keys when running as Media Server" checked.

They work even if MC isn't in focus, even when I'm not running Media Server on my Workstation.

However, I use a Logitech K400r wireless keyboard, on which the top row of keys are primarily Media Keys, with my HTPC and with basically the same settings there, the Volume Up and Down still control the System Volume, and not the MC Internal Volume. Setpoint isn't running on the HTPC and it just crashes if I try to run it, as is common with Setpoint. I probably should try to fix that, but I don't need to, because on my HTPC I control volume using my IR Remote controlling the AVR volume knob.

So I think you have to try different combinations of settings, and work out what works best for you, and in your environment. Try all the Media Key mode options, and see what each does. Internal Volume is still the best choice in MC, but for some people System Volume works better if they want to use Media Keys on a keyboard.

You could try running Media Server with MC, and see if the Media Keys then work when MC isn't in focus. Just turn on "Translate hot keys when running as Media Server".

You might also want to dig around in the Setpoint software and see if there are any settings in there that change behaviour. Update Setpoint to the latest, or find the best for your hardware.

Trial and error is the only way to really get Media Keys to work as you wish.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:03:23 am »

Thanks for spending the time to help Roderick, really appreciated.  I'm guessing it must be a combo of the age of my keyboard and the version of setpoint that it supports.  Have tried all suggestions and none work. Oh well.  It's probably getting time for new keyboard anyway, this is over 10 years old!!

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 05:25:15 am »

Logitech keyboards/mice don't get on too well with Windows 10 - My MK330 mouse/keyboard set would do all sorts of "daft/odd" things:-

The keyboard would frequently forget that the "Calculator Key" was supposed to open the Calculator and the stupid rodent would either not respond to a single left button click or frequently translate a single left click as two left clicks. I'm not sure if it was down to the Logitech Software misbehaving or the Dongle being prone to "Radio Signal Interference" but replacing them with a MS keyboard and mouse solved the problems.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:03:09 am »

Logitech keyboards/mice don't get on too well with Windows 10 - My MK330 mouse/keyboard set would do all sorts of "daft/odd" things:-

The keyboard would frequently forget that the "Calculator Key" was supposed to open the Calculator and the stupid rodent would either not respond to a single left button click or frequently translate a single left click as two left clicks. I'm not sure if it was down to the Logitech Software misbehaving or the Dongle being prone to "Radio Signal Interference" but replacing them with a MS keyboard and mouse solved the problems.
I'd try uninstalling any Logitech software, too.  We've seen that fix problems in the past.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:14:18 am »

I'd try uninstalling any Logitech software, too.  We've seen that fix problems in the past.

Jimh - I tried that; which of course meant that the keyboard's programmable keys no longer worked but the darn mouse continued getting up to "silly tricks".
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up