INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar and DSD - it works, but...  (Read 1215 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar and DSD - it works, but...
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:37:36 pm »

For those interested:

If you want to play dsf files to this soundbar, you need to change the mime type for DSF that is presented by Media Center in:

C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 26\Data\Default Resources\FileAssociations.xml

Specifically - after making a backup of this file:

Change this:

<Item Name="dsf">audio/x-dsf;audio/dsf</Item>

To this:

<Item Name="dsf">audio/x-dsd;audio/dsd</Item>

Once done, restart Media Center, and you can then play dsf to the soundbar over DNLA as DSD.

Note that I am not certain this will survive Media Center version updates - need to check that.  This was perplexing as reviews said this soundbar could support DSD over a home network via DLNA but I could not get it to work with DSF files.

Also - the soundbar reports it should support gapless, but it does not.  Not for DSD or Flac served from MediaServer in any case.

It's also a very nice soundbar for those rooms where a proper home theater/audio listening room setup are not possible.  Handles DTS:X and Atmos reasonably well as well as Dolby Vision and HDR10.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar and DSD - it works, but...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:56 pm »

Note that I am not certain this will survive Media Center version updates

If you put a copy of the FileAssociations.xml with modifications into a directory called "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 26\Data\Custom Resources\" it will survive MC updates. However, MC upgrades to a new major version will require the "Custom Resources" directory to be copied across to the new version.

A search of the forum for "FileAssociations.xml" will find several discussion on this topic.
i.e. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122263.msg846904.html#msg846904

Also - the soundbar reports it should support gapless, but it does not.  Not for DSD or Flac served from MediaServer in any case.

Test it with AndrewFG's DMRA and see if it says it supports SetNextAVTransportURI required for Gapless.

Mind you, Sony's DLNA Renderer implementation on my TV isn't real good, so it may not support Gapless.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar and DSD - it works, but...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:06:23 am »

Thanks!  Great tips.

Another discovery - while the soundbar supports multichannel DSD and FLAC up to 5.1, I do have some audio that is Flac 96/24 7.1 audio and it does not support it.  That is rare and from a sampler disc that I have.

I've also only tried DSF backups of my SACD discs.   Need to try some of the other DSD formats for compatibility.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up