INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Test Field Question  (Read 345 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Test Field Question
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:42 am »

For as long as I can remember, I have had a library field called simply "Test Field" that I use for, well, testing stuff. This is not saved in file tags.

Today, I have spent way too much time chasing some wierdness with this field, and need someone to explain what's going on for me please.

This info will become relavent later on in this post...
Some time ago, I helped someone out with a vertical space issue in theater view by suggesting that they use an expression to place some of the shorter field values on one line. The example I used, and tested in [Test Field], was simply "Internet Rating: [internet rating] • Home Rating: [Rating] • Duration: [Duration]"

Today, I changed [Test Field] to a "Ten Star" rating field, to which, all manner of wierdness began.

There are no files with a ten star rating value in [Test Field], but, a search of -[Test Field]=[], that I expected to return the one or two files I was testing with, returned the entire library.
* marko starts to scratch head....

Ah, maybe, even though I thought that empty and zero meant the same thing, maybe, because it's an integer field, I have to use zero...
-[Test Field]=0
This returns 539 files, all movies, all with nothing in the [Test Field] column, so shouldn't be listed, right?

I cannot figure this out at all, so change [Test Field] to a string field with standard editing, relaunched MC, selected all files, stuffed a random string in there, confirmed, then cleared the field, and confirmed, then relaunched MC...

-[Test Field]=0 still returns the same 539 files as before.

I then deleted the field from the library, relaunched MC, and recreated the field, as a "Ten Star Rating" field, and I'm back where I started. What is going on?

Next, I deleted the field, again, closed MC, deleted the cache subfolder from the library folder, and relaunched MC. At this time, there is no "Test Field" in the library.

Finally, here comes the question...
Why is it then, that with no [Test Field] field in the library to add as a column, -[Test Field]=0 in the search box still returns the same 539 files as before, and, if I create an expression column simply using [Test field], it returns the results from the beginning of this post, ie: "Internet Rating: [internet rating] • Home Rating: [Rating] • Duration: [Duration]"

Where is this persistant data coming from? My OCD is off the chart here :D

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up