INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the best way to move my files?  (Read 614 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Is this the best way to move my files?
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:08:11 pm »

Currently I have all my music files on "M" drive which is a WD Desktop HDD (240v powered with a wall wart). For a number of reasons I am going to change this to a USB powered SSD....but I also want to call that "M" drive (and rename the WD to something else).

I will be keeping the original files on the WD Deskptop as a backup, and will rename the volume to "B".

Which would be the best way to achieve this?
1. Name the new SSD as "N"
2. Select all the files, and using F6, choose "Copy and update database to point to new location", which will be on "N" drive. (so now MC is pointing to new SSD "N")
3. Rename HDD "M" drive to "B"
4. Rename SSD from "N" to "M"
5. F6 and "Update database to point to a new location" and put in the new base path of M:\1. MUSIC\

OR

1. Close MC
2. Copy the files to the "N" SSD using a Windows Copy & Paste
3. Rename the old WD HDD "M" to "B"
3. Rename SSD "N" to "M"
5. Reopen MC. (and this assumes that MC will not care that the "M" drive is now a different disc with the old name)

or does it not really matter? Is MC any faster at copying files than Windows, or am I right in thinking that it is strictly hardware driven and only governed by read and write speeds? (and it will be the read speed of the HDD that is the governor in this case anyway)

I would also like to confirm please, that (after copying the files over to the SSD) reallocating the drive name via F6 and "Update database to point to a new location" is virtually instant?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is this the best way to move my files?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:20 pm »

Hi Fence.

Neither.  The most efficient would be:

1. Close MC
2. Re-letter M to B
3. mount new SSD as M
4. Copy your files from B to M using Windows Explorer
5. Reopen MC. You're done.

There is no need for the additional step of using N as an intermediate drive letter.

The assumes you will be keeping the same folder structure.

If you use RMCF to copy a large number of files (thousands) it can take a while, and I wouldn't bet my life on it being successful. Using it to update the database only (no move or copy) is much faster.

If you're changing he folder structure, and have a large number of files, I would still recommend copying using explorer, and then using RMCF to update the location afterwards for maximum reliability.  You would need to disable auto import in background beforehand if you use this approach.

Good luck.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Is this the best way to move my files?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 07:44:09 am »

Rightio, cheers wer. No folder restructure, and yes - plenty of files - about 24,000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up