INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Leveling on a per album basis  (Read 378 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Volume Leveling on a per album basis
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:18:52 am »

I have converted around 20k files from DSF to FLAC. I use the DSFs to play on my main system.
The FLACs are the basis to create mp3 for the car, m4a for the phone (medium bitrate) and m4a for my laptop (high bitrate).
As is to be expected, the FLACs that come out of the DSF conversion have widely varying loudness levels and after analyzing audio, JRiver sets the album replay gain to anything between 0 and +9dB depending on the album.
Now I would like to create a set of volume levelled (per album) FLACs, which I can use as a basis for the subsequent conversions. I have taken three FLAC albums and converted them to FLAC with volume leveling on.

Brothers in arms 1 and 2 both look ok. The relative peak levels between the tracks seem to be kept about the same
However with the Abbado / Mahler, the relative peak levels differ wildly between the original and the volume leveled version. I converted the whole album in one go.
Also subjectively, the second movement of the Mahler is way too loud in the volume leveled version.

Am I missing something how to do per album volume leveling right?

Thanks for any help.

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume Leveling on a per album basis
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:14:46 am »

I was able to solve the issue by using dbpoweramp
- use replaygain converter and set to "album" -> this writes replaygain_album_gain and replaygain_album_peak vorbis comment tags
- add these fields to JRiver library
- reread library from tags
Now I could check the album gain tags in JRiver
Then do the conversion using the replaygain(apply) dsp
Pages: [1]   Go Up