INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot restart a movie after pausing it (video doesn't show)  (Read 719 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe

Pretty strange behavior... I'm running the latest MC 26.0.98 build

When I stop a running movie (displayed on a projector) with 'pause' and/or 'stop' and do something else for let's say 10 minutes, when restarting the movie with 'play' the sound starts to run fine but the video doesn't get displayed anymore - then there is no way to stop or pause the movie, I have to go and kill MC on the server with task manager, restart MC and hit 'play' and everything works fine again

I can replicate this problem easily - please try it, it's more than annoying, as my server is on another floor

globetrotters1

Re: Cannot restart a movie after pausing it (video doesn't show)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:53:24 pm »

MC still freezing after a longer pause watching a movie...

?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:41 pm »

Are you spinning down your hard drive on the server?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »

Audio still plays, so I would assume that the hard drive is running.

I suspect that the projector is connected via HDMI, and the PC is losing the HDMI EDID connection information.

You are more expert than me on the tij, so back to you on that one!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 08:43:40 pm »

Audio still plays, so I would assume that the hard drive is running.

I suspect that the projector is connected via HDMI, and the PC is losing the HDMI EDID connection information.

You are more expert than me on the tij, so back to you on that one!
Good point RoderickGI ...  HDMI EDID could be problem too

Thought it sounded similar to https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126214.0.html
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:57:56 am »

Whatever it is, it is a fairly new problem
I use MC since version 10 and until recently I didn't have this problem - I suppose around 26.0.048 or so

And I'm not able to stop the movie - neither with the remote nor with <CTRL>P - MC doesn't respond anymore and has to be killed in Task Manager out of memory manually

Within the media server there are 12 x 4TB hard disks running under RAID6, which stop after 10 minutes idling
But that shouldn't be the problem, until 26.0.48 it just displayed "spinning up disks" or similar and everything worked fine afterwards

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 06:04:27 am »

Did you update your antivirus or Defender settings after upgrading to MC26?

AV or Defender consider major version of MC as separate programs ... so setting in AV or Defender for MC25 will not carry over to MC26 for example

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 08:26:13 am »

Within the media server there are 12 x 4TB hard disks running under RAID6, which stop after 10 minutes idling
But that shouldn't be the problem, until 26.0.48 it just displayed "spinning up disks" or similar and everything worked fine afterwards
sorry ... didnt read your full response ... just notice you spin down your HDD

this is a known issue atm ... the disussion i reference before had exactly same problem

unfortunately ... i dont know any solution to this other than (1) dont spin down HDD ... (2) dont pause just stop playback ... when you play again it should resume from last stop

spinning HDD has other similar problems depending on whats on it (it can cause unresponsiveness during library browsing if cover art is stored on them for exampke)

MC team say it has to do with the way Windows handle MC request in event of HDD not available. Without knowing how MC accesses HDD, i cannot really comment.

EDIT [its entirely possible it’s not MC fault ... AV can have on-access scan on ... so any file MC tried to access is scanned first before passing on to MC ... it’s possible AV is handling access files during spin-on badly causing MC to not get file properly]

My HDD in NAS (12x 12TB) never spin down unless server is off. I specifically buy enterprise grade HDD that are designed for this (price difference compared to  consumer HDD is negligible).

Also ... keep in mind that spinning HDD up wears out your HDD pretty hard ... your 10min spin down is definetely too short ... definitely wears you HDD harder than running 24/7 (assuming your HDD are designed for it)

There is big debate on this spinning down thing ... but generally it is agreed that if you spin it down ... it should stay spin down long enough to warrent it (like you going to sleep) ... it is also generally agreed that cycling through spin on and off frequently during the day will wear out your HDD fast (any electricity you save will be surpass by you buying new HDD)

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 01:04:14 pm »

Try disable "Stop after a long pause" from Options->Video->Advanced.

Don't forget select Zone at above of Video setting.

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 07:40:15 pm »

Try disable "Stop after a long pause" from Options->Video->Advanced.

Don't forget select Zone at above of Video setting.

Hello NNTK,
this might be the solution, thanks for the tip !
Let you know if that solves the problem

globetrotters1

SOLVED: Cannot restart a movie after pausing it (video doesn't show)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 11:49:28 am »

Hello everyone,

preventing the RAID disks to stop spinning and the change in video options, as NNTK proposed, solved the problem

Thanks a lot
Pages: [1]   Go Up