INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem: sometimes, album tracks insist on being "independent"  (Read 781 times)

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck

There are times that I will import an album and a track (typically the first one) doesn't join the others and is listed as a separate "album".  I always suspect that this is a "tag" problem, but invariably, as far as I can tell, the tag of the rebellious track is the same, less the title, as the others of which it is a part.  Does this happen to anyone else, and if so what can be done?  Thanks.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem: sometimes, album tracks insist on being "independent"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 04:51:59 pm »

It's a tag problem.

Ensure you have normalized the Album Artist and Album fields.  There may be a misspelling, a space, or even a hidden character that you're overlooking.  Select those tags from one track, and copy them to all the other tracks.

You should also ensure that the fields (as held in the database) match the tags written in the file.  These can be synchronized by choosing update library from tags, or update tags from library.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:37:31 pm »

Thanks for your response. I have always been very careful to normalize (make uniform) all of the fields, doing just as you say, by copying the same info to every track. Where do I find the commands "update library" and/or "update tags"?  Under "General > update tags when file info changes" the box is checked.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »

On the errant track, when I look at "Tag Dump" I see listed
ARTIST=NBC Symphony Orchestra, Toscanini
ALBUMARTIST = Beetsymtoscflacs
ALBUM ARTIST = Beetsymtoscflacs

The latter two categories, ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST don't appear for any of the other tracks of the album.  So, I suspect that might
be the problem.  The thing is, how do I eliminate those categories for the troublesome track?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:35:10 pm »

Select all the files and edit those tags.  Something is different.  Album Artist is important.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:08:09 am »

Select all the files and edit those tags.  Something is different.  Album Artist is important.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

For the music I listen to (classical music that almost always has either just a soloist or merely an orchestra, a conductor, and perhaps a soloist) the "Album Artist" category is at a minimum unecessary and at the most very annoying. I try never to use it, and when it does (automatically) appear, I erase the contents of the field.  But unfortunately, MC considers this category to be so important that it insists in putting something in the field anyway.  Is there any way to permanently eliminate this category?  If I could, surely I would have far fewer tag problems.

wer

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:54:26 am »

The fact that the Album Artist tag is different/missing in the other files is the source of your problem.  Normalize it, and stop deleting it. Then you will not have these tag problems.

That tag is essential to how MC organizes music, and differentiates albums.

You might want to consider researching best practices for tagging classical music, to help you better understand how to use the Album Artist field.

Good luck...

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 04:31:52 pm »

I no longer have an "Album Artist" category listed in the "Audio" field. What I have are "Albums", "Artists", "Files", "Genres", "Panes", and "Recent Albums".
How do I put "Album Artist" back?
Pages: [1]   Go Up