INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED: CD ripping - can default sound quality be altered?  (Read 2641 times)

Jay Fora

• Recent member
SOLVED: CD ripping - can default sound quality be altered?
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:27:34 pm »

I ripped a CD  to FLAC 6, and didn't enjoy the resulting sound quality. This was my first attempt using MC to rip a CD. The music on this classical CD has a quality and wide range between low and high notes that makes my brain zing and sends me to aural  heaven!
When ripped the resulting track reduced the range, so that instead the sound was like the sound track of a sleepy sunday afternoon movie. Like gooey caramel.
Is there a setting somewhere that would copy the CD with sound quality close to identical withe the original?
Or a completely different approach?
Thanks, Jay

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD ripping - can default sound quality be altered?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 01:49:43 am »

Ripping ordinary CD (Red Book) supposed to be lossless process - exact bit to bit copy of audio from CD ... with no DSP applied.

Maybe your CD is SACD? In that case your PC can only rip Red Book layer. DSD layer cannot be ripped from PC.

Ripping SACD is a complex process ... involving some compomised players hook up to your PC. There are some companies that can do it for you if you send them your SACD.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 05:05:53 am »

Rip Disk | Options | Encoding | => select a lossless format (such as Flac, ALAC or Wav)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 05:58:52 am »

Check the case/booklet for that CD to see if it is a 24 bit recording - If it is then you may want to rip it with dBpoweramp with HDCD detection switched on so that you get a 24 bit Flac file.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 07:59:16 am »

I ripped a CD  to FLAC 6, and didn't enjoy the resulting sound quality. This was my first attempt using MC to rip a CD. The music on this classical CD has a quality and wide range between low and high notes that makes my brain zing and sends me to aural  heaven!
When ripped the resulting track reduced the range, so that instead the sound was like the sound track of a sleepy sunday afternoon movie. Like gooey caramel.
Could just be the volume setting.  Volume leveling, and other DSP can affect the volume and that will change how it sounds.

Jay Fora

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 08:19:30 pm »

Ripping ordinary CD (Red Book) supposed to be lossless process - exact bit to bit copy of audio from CD ... with no DSP applied.

Maybe your CD is SACD? In that case your PC can only rip Red Book layer. DSD layer cannot be ripped from PC.

Ripping SACD is a complex process ... involving some compomised players hook up to your PC. There are some companies that can do it for you if you send them your SACD.
How do I find whether it's SACD or not?

Jay Fora

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »

Check the case/booklet for that CD to see if it is a 24 bit recording - If it is then you may want to rip it with dBpoweramp with HDCD detection switched on so that you get a 24 bit Flac file.
  If I no longer have the case booklet, is there any other way to find this out?

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 08:23:41 pm »

If I no longer have the case booklet, is there any other way to find this out?

Many hybrid disc cases have rounded corners.

Jay Fora

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »

Could just be the volume setting.  Volume leveling, and other DSP can affect the volume and that will change how it sounds.
I never use sound levelling, and am playing both the CD and checking the ripped file in MC with the same sound settings applied. So If I was successfully ripping bit perfect using MC, wouldn't the sound for both be the same? I am not succeeding in achieving this.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 08:53:10 pm »

If it’s SACD ... there should be SACD logo on the disc.

If it’s HDCD ... could be tougher to ID visually  ... there can be HDCD logo on the disc too. But some CD don’t even mark their CD is HDCD.

Theoretically, when you rip CD lossless - HDCD data is preserved ... HDCD is additional data present on CD that allows players to add this additional data to standard 16bit CD audio and construct 24bit audio from it.

MC can play HDCD ... but it must know HDCD is present ... for that you need to analyze your rip for HDCD data presence.

The way MC plays HDCD ... it creates 24bit audio on fly as it plays ... just as normal HDCD player would ... I prefer this way - as it preserves original CD data bit perfect

Alternatively ... as other suggested ... you can rip with dbPiwerAmo ... it builds 24bit during ripping and saves that ... I don’t like this approach (who knows - I’m the future they might find better way to combine 16bit audio with HDCD data to produce much better 24bit audio ... with this way - you are stuck with what dbPowerAmp did)

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Jay Fora

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 11:33:12 pm »

Thank you everyone. I will try the free trial of DBpoweramp to see if that makes any difference. A friend has a copy of this CD set with the booklet still inside, so I will also look at that in case SACD or HDCD is mentioned.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 01:49:28 am »

Thank you everyone. I will try the free trial of DBpoweramp to see if that makes any difference. A friend has a copy of this CD set with the booklet still inside, so I will also look at that in case SACD or HDCD is mentioned.

Also look to see if anything like "Studio Quality" or "Master Quality" are mentioned as not all 24 bit recordings were made using HDCD.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Jay Fora

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 03:01:00 am »

It turns out DBPoweramp was the solution in this case. However unlikely to need it for any other CD, so don't want to buy it. Will most likely rip with MC in future.

jharrelljr

Re: SOLVED: CD ripping - can default sound quality be altered?
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 09:03:31 pm »

CDs just sound slightly muffled after ripping. 

Tried Exact Audio Copy and that made a good rip, why can't JRiver do it properly?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: SOLVED: CD ripping - can default sound quality be altered?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 08:15:22 am »

I rip CDs often (to APE) and JRiver has worked flawlessly for me.  I recommend ripping in "Secure" mode so every sector is read at least twice.  At the end it reports any possible problems.

So if you're still having problems, please install the latest MC, pick secure ripping, and a lossless format like APE or FLAC.  Then let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up