INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with "Update database to point to new location"  (Read 993 times)

goberre

• Recent member
Help with "Update database to point to new location"
« on: July 22, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »

Hi, I have been running Media Centre on a laptop supplying the hifi with the media files on a USB external hard drive. I now want to move the drive to my router's USB port so it can be accessed from the network when the laptop is on or off. I have mapped the drive on the router and need to point the library at it. I have seen mention elsewhere in this forum mention  of the command "Update database to point to new location" but cannot find this. Please could someone talk me through this task. Many thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with "Update database to point to new location"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:23:53 pm »

It's in the Rename, Move, & Copy File function.

Select the "Update database to point to new location" option and uncheck the Directories and Filename items, then use the "Find & Replace" at the bottom to do a quick update in your Library.

Some hints here in Reply #6: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126192.msg874528.html#msg874528

Wiki article here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace
and here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:49 am »

Many thanks Roderick,
Worked a treat on my 70,000+ files in one operation.
Another question can I put my non media JRiver files on the NAS so that my 3 computers all access and update the same JRiver library. And if this is possible which files do I move to the NAS.
Kind regards,
Gordon

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 05:53:04 pm »

If you mean the MC Library files, moving those to a NAS isn't a good idea. You would see a large slowdown of MC, because it is constantly accessing its Library. Reading and writing to a NAS over a network just isn't that quick.

In fact, the recommendation is to have your MC Library on the fastest local drive your PC has, preferably an SSD of some form.

The is also the problem that if you move the Library files to the NAS, and more than one PC tries to use that Library at a time, you will break your Library. The MC Database stored in the Library isn't a multi-user database. It can't have two PCs reading from and writing to it at once.

The best way to have three computers using one Library is to designate one computer as a MC Server, and have that Server available and running, or sleeping and able to be woken, whenever one of the other PCs run MC. In that case, when one of these MC Clients runs, a copy of the MC Server Library is sent to the MC Client, and then change are synchronised between the two. There are some limitations on what a MC Client can do, for example it can't move files around on the NAS using MC functions, but in terms of playback, tagging, etc., it does the same as the MC Server.

The Wiki has articles on Media Server, Media Network, and so on that explain how to do that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 06:08:41 pm »

Thanks again Roderick,
I'll have a look at the articles on Media Server, Media Network and plan this out. You may well hear from me again if I can't get my head round it.
Love Media Centre.
Stay safe,
Gordon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up