INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shield, Beta Versions, and Zones...  (Read 2532 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Shield, Beta Versions, and Zones...
« on: July 24, 2020, 08:20:08 pm »

Hi all,

Alright, I finally broke down, got an Nvidia Shield, and purchased JRiver for Android. Yes, I am one of the voices that said "please make it also available in a non-Play Store venue such as my existing JRiver account". I still strongly believe that. But... I want to be part of this. So...

1) I see that some are using much newer builds than the official build (26.0.35 64-bit) on the Play Store. Is this something I have access too? And is that desirable? I searched, but could not find.

2) On my main computer, I see the Shield playing like a zone. There seems to be a way to link it to an existing zone. Can I play multiple zones together? Would they be synchronized?

Thanks all!

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shield, Beta Versions, and Zones...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »

There is a beta version in the Play Store that is currently on 26.0.101, however, the focus has been on the mobile version of the app. It would not benefit the Android TV version.

I have not tested zone sync with JRiver for Android. For playing music, it should behave like another instance of Media Center for Linux.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »

Oh, that explains (I think, this is new to me) why I can't see the newer versions in the Play Store. Perhaps I have been viewing as a Shield user? When I look at the Play Store it just shows v.26.0.35 (3/16/2020) and mentions the new stuff being for Android TV.

That's a real letdown. I was looking forward to using it on the Shield to play mostly music on the TV in that room (hopefully) synced with JRiver playing the same music in other rooms.

I guess I will have to figure out how to get the newer versions anyway.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:22 am »

Join the beta group on the Play Store.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 05:37:04 pm »

Thanks, Jim! I am sorry, but I don't see how to do this. So far, I have only exposed my Nvidia Shield to the p store, not my phone. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

I am new to this ecosystem (Android TV and p store). I have avoided it on my phone thru using F-Droid and the like. I am already frustrated with the lack of transparency with the use of data and with how locked down it is. I can't change the search provider from "g assistant"?? It needs a native mouse and some libre/freedom/privacy. But there is also positive, of course. The parts that are good are really good.

I much prefer JRiver's system. Now, if I can just get my TV/Shield and computer to play music in sync...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 05:58:32 pm »

In the Play Store, on the page for the app, there should be a beta section. 

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 02:51:28 pm »

When I look at that page there is no reference to a beta section. Again, maybe it is because, in my case, the Store only knows about (as devices) my Shield and my Windows PC? It probably thinks I am only an Android TV user. Perhaps if I would log in with my actual Android phone it would see the beta version? I have resisted that so far, which is on me, obviously.

I notice, though, that the forum still only officially announces 26.0.35, "JRiver for Android 26.0.35 -- Available Here". Has development slowed? I can imagine you may have your hands full these days.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:09:55 am »

OK, I was able to get to the Beta group and get up to 26.0.101 (7/24/2020). Problem was on my end. Thanks! So... development NOT slowed down! Awesome! Please keep developing for Android TV, though.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 11:29:29 pm »

Actually, I am having additional trouble with the Android version. Music doesn't play. I can click on a song, I tell it to play, I think it is trying, but it just doesn't start.

Perhaps related, in settings, under Audio Device, it looks like it is not remembering my setting. Choices are Android Oboe and [Null Output], but every time I come back to that page it is on "Select One".

These problems happen whether I am trying to play from local files on my phone or if I am loading a library off my computer/network. It does see the files at least.

I am on 26.0.101 64-bit, Android 8.1.

Thanks!

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 11:59:57 pm »

Right after I posted I saw that just today the version got bumped to 26.0.106 (though it looked like my Nvidia Shield only got 26.0.105). My phone is now on 26.0.106 and I still have the same problems.

Also, should I put follow-up posts in the main "JRiver on Android -- Development Discussion, Questions, & Answers" thread?

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:27 pm »

It should be fine to post this in this thread.

Updates for the Shield will probably take longer to show up because it goes through a longer testing process before going live. With the mobile version, I believe the testing is mostly automated. However, the available versions for Android TV and mobile will always be the same.

The audio device option on the settings page should probably be removed from Android. Android really only has the Android output plugin, which is listed as Oboe. If you select null, you'll get no sound, so make sure you're not using null output. The settings page doesn't identify the active audio output, so it always defaults back to "Select One." If you're not getting audio, you might want to try selecting Oboe just to be sure you're not on null output. You could also try clearing the app storage cache. This will wipe out the library, but it should revert any other settings that might be causing problems.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 12:54:52 am »

OK, I tried all of that including clearing the cache, then clearing the cache and the data. It still doesn't play. Anything else I can try?

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 05:19:00 pm »

So far I am unable to reproduce the problem.

Is it just the playback controls that don't work?
What happens if you select a new file to play? Does it appear to be playing, but with no sound?
Does the timer or seek bar advance at all?
Is it just audio or video as well?

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:02 pm »

I appreciate your trying. Still having the problem. With music, I can see the seek bar, but it doesn't advance. Videos don't work either. I can see that the images are there, but when I go to click on one to see it, a pop up asks Play all, Play file, etc. I click my choice, but nothing happens. Other media players on my phone work, like VLC and Phonograph, but of course they are somewhat simpler and have had more development time.

Another factor here. I may be upgrading to a new phone within days. This old one is a Nexus 6p with the famous dying battery problem. I run it plugged in almost all the time. Perhaps the new phone will be a different story.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 12:31:38 am »

Good news! I finally got the new phone (s20+ 5g), and now JRiver for Android seems to work. Thank you so much for trying to help! Sorry to take up your time...
Pages: [1]   Go Up