INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby Vision in an MKV  (Read 1210 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Dolby Vision in an MKV
« on: July 26, 2020, 08:18:48 am »

It looks like the MKV container (and makeMKV) now supports DV. My question is what will be needed on my HTPC to make this work? Does MC need to support it or will it be up to madVR to get it working? I'm reading about people getting it going on Kodi, and maybe Plex, via the Nvidia Shield but they are still jumping through hoops.

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Dolby Vision in an MKV
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 10:52:20 am »

Likely it will be MadVR who will do heavy lifting for this ... as it was for 3D

I think DV on plex and Kodi you refer to are mp4 ... don’t think anybody have done DV in mkv playback yet

My guess the starting point will be LAV filter ... to get that DV stream out of MKV ...

It could be awhile though ... took ages between MakMKV supporting 3D and MadVR playing it

Might take even longer for DV as specs for that are proprietary and madani is busy with Envy

EDIT: it’s a good start in the right direction though ... I can finally get rid of my BDMV folder rips for DV titles and replace them with MKV

EDIT2:seems ppl able to trigger DV on Shield with these new mkv ... I might do some testing to see if I can trigger DV on LG E6 ... in this case PC will be doing nothing (just passing mkv to TV ... same for Shield) ... it still be awhile for PC to trigger DV for movies (hopefully I am wrong)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

rec head

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 03:47:21 pm »

I'm getting my info mostly from the AVS 2019 Shield thread. I think the Kodi on the Shield with some mods works with the MKV. The Shield has other problems though like the red push.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »

Likely it will be MadVR who will do heavy lifting for this ... as it was for 3D

I think DV on plex and Kodi you refer to are mp4 ... don’t think anybody have done DV in mkv playback yet

My guess the starting point will be LAV filter ... to get that DV stream out of MKV ...

It could be awhile though ... took ages between MakMKV supporting 3D and MadVR playing it

Might take even longer for DV as specs for that are proprietary and madani is busy with Envy

EDIT: it’s a good start in the right direction though ... I can finally get rid of my BDMV folder rips for DV titles and replace them with MKV

EDIT2:seems ppl able to trigger DV on Shield with these new mkv ... I might do some testing to see if I can trigger DV on LG E6 ... in this case PC will be doing nothing (just passing mkv to TV ... same for Shield) ... it still be awhile for PC to trigger DV for movies (hopefully I am wrong)

just read about MakeMKV supporting this now. 

in any case, it is indeed a step in the right direction.  please post your results if you do some testing.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up