INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrade to dsd capable dac ?  (Read 998 times)

jgp5775

• Recent member
upgrade to dsd capable dac ?
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »

I am curious if any here had upgraded their dac in the past  to one that can play native dsd files and if so, are you happy with the upgrade?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: upgrade to dsd capable dac ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:09:25 pm »

I am curious if any here had upgraded their dac in the past  to one that can play native dsd files and if so, are you happy with the upgrade?
I have and have used many DACs capable of native DSD playback.  Sure, I am happy.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:53:19 pm »

Yes indeed.

I have an exaSound E38 Mark II.  It's an 8 channel DAC that supports DSD natively.  They have a 2-channel version as well.

Google around - there are many stereo DACs that support DSD.  Not so many for multichannel.

Works great with Media Center.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:10:26 pm »

Some people enjoy the sound of DSD and some cannot hear the difference between DSD and PCM. Some prefer PCM.  It all depends on the equipment you have, how sensitive you are to different sounds and what music you are listening to.   Some DACs just convert to PCM, some convert to PCM at a very high sample rate, some turn the DSD into analog without going through PCM.  It really does depend on your equipment and on your hearing/perception.  I know that seems like a cope out, but it is unfortunately the truth.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 04:34:26 pm »

Instead of the DSD vs PCM dialogue it all comes down to do you enjoy listening to it. True a bat might discern the difference between the filetypes but an aurally handicapped human couldn't really tell the difference between a really good mp3 file , the same as pcm or the same as DSD. Snake oil rules the world and even I am sucked into it, buying 24 bit 192 khtz files at audacious prices, instead of just admitting that I really just enjoy the music as long as the equpment is good and the recording is good.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

jgp5775

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:45:13 pm »

thanks for the replies. Until i decide whether or not to upgrade my 24/192 dac ,is that the optimum I can listen to dsd or dsf files.I am still learning how best to set up  the dsp on mc. If I have playlists that sometimes include dsd or dsf files what is the recommended dsp for a dac capable of 24/192?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 07:03:53 pm »

Some people enjoy the sound of DSD and some cannot hear the difference between DSD and PCM.
Right.
Until i decide whether or not to upgrade my 24/192 dac ,is that the optimum I can listen to dsd or dsf files.I am still learning how best to set up  the dsp on mc. If I have playlists that sometimes include dsd or dsf files what is the recommended dsp for a dac capable of 24/192?
I have several DSD-capable DACs, some stereo, some multichannel and my basic approach is to play every file in its native format.  That said, I usually prefer the improvements afforded by room EQ and bass management despite the necessity to downsample to 24/192 and/or convert from DSD to PCM.  There's little to gain in most cases with anything more than 24/192PCM.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

jgp5775

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 07:14:56 pm »

yes thank you. I would prefer to play every file regardless of its sample rate in its native form. Whats the simplest dsp setting with my 24/192 capable dac if you know?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:11 pm »

yes thank you. I would prefer to play every file regardless of its sample rate in its native form. Whats the simplest dsp setting with my 24/192 capable dac if you know?
I have no answer to that question.  One uses DSP for a particular purpose and, unless you have a defined purpose, there is no need for any DSP.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:02:05 pm »

Some people enjoy the sound of DSD and some cannot hear the difference between DSD and PCM. Some prefer PCM.  It all depends on the equipment you have, how sensitive you are to different sounds and what music you are listening to.   Some DACs just convert to PCM, some convert to PCM at a very high sample rate, some turn the DSD into analog without going through PCM.  It really does depend on your equipment and on your hearing/perception.  I know that seems like a cope out, but it is unfortunately the truth.

+1

now i have a few albums, both dsd and pcm.   i prefer the dsd through the same equipment.  however that may entirely be the result of the care taken to record/mix/master the audio.  i have heard some red book audio sound absolutely amazing as well.  frankly i think that makes the most difference.   

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Manfred

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:32 am »

I have a Devialet 220 Pro (up to DS64) in my living room and an ADI-2 DAC FS in my Home Office (up to DSD256 DoP & native). The Devialet is a factor 7-8 in price and I would not replace it with the ADI-2 DAC FS. The ADI-2 DAC FS is not so far away from a SQ PoV compared to my Devialet but listening over headphones AUdeze LCD-2 I do it for hours with the Devialet but not with the ADI-2 DAC FS its a little be fatiguing.

There are some real good DSD recordings from 2xHD and also from LSO recorded in DSD256 and I am waiting that Devialet offers a firmware/hardware upgrade enabling DSD256.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 07:59:27 am »

I have never had the need to move from PCM to DSD since DSD is anyway a lower quality format (old Sony format).
I Europe DSD is anyway no hype.

I know that this is disputed. Its just my opinion. Technically its clear.

Additional disadvantages of DSD:
-no DSP possible I need DSP alsways crossover and loudness
-no variable volume possible on DSD, I need volume digitally
-by far bigger files (cost, backup-time etc.)
-much less sources available than PCM

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up