INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you make JRemote play all tracks in an album?  (Read 2330 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
How do you make JRemote play all tracks in an album?
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:48:33 am »

If I select any album track in my normal MC 26 interface it will play all subsequent tracks in that album without any further intervention. However, JRemote only seems to want to play the selected track. How do I make JRemote automatically play the other tracks? 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you make JRemote play all tracks in an album?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:52:34 pm »

Are you using JRemote2? On Android?

Learn about the PlayMode. Set it to "Play all now", tap a track in an Album, and JRemote2 will start playing the whole Album from the track you tapped.

See:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126028.msg873349.html#msg873349
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125678.msg872869.html#msg872869
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »

On JRemote for IOS,

If you press and hold on the album track and select "All Tracks" from the pop up, then select "Play Now" will play the album from the track you selected.

Or if you press and hold on the album rather than going into the track list and select "Play Now" that will play the whole album.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 04:35:18 am »

Are you using JRemote2? On Android?

Learn about the PlayMode. Set it to "Play all now", tap a track in an Album, and JRemote2 will start playing the whole Album from the track you tapped.

See:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126028.msg873349.html#msg873349
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125678.msg872869.html#msg872869
Hi Roderick,
I was using the iOS version of JRemote, but JRemote on Android gave same result as on iOS. These versions of JRemote don't have a 'Play all now' option. I've been put off buying JRemote2 by a very poor user rating of 2.4 out of 5 and negative comments about its usefulness for classical music.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:22 am »

On JRemote for IOS,

If you press and hold on the album track and select "All Tracks" from the pop up, then select "Play Now" will play the album from the track you selected.

Or if you press and hold on the album rather than going into the track list and select "Play Now" that will play the whole album.

I'm using v3.33 of JRemote for iOS on an iPad, which appears to be the latest version. Since my OP, I found out that if I step back to the album and select "Play now" then all the tracks will be played, but I still have a problem with using the track listing. When I press and hold on any track in the list I get the following list of selection options.

Play now
 Play next
 Add to "Now Playing"
 Shuffle and play
 Play Doctor

As you can see, it doesn't include "All Tracks" and "Play now" only plays the selected track. Are you using a different version of JRemote or is there a setting in MC that affects this behaviour of JRemote?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:49 am »

No I'm running 3.33 as well. There are some customisations in Tools -> Options -> Media Network ->Advanced but I haven't touched them for Audio.

If you can see the screenshot attachment, selecting "All Tracks" gives me the option to select and play from a specific track.

I see you get the option to "shuffle and play", I don't but do have a shuffle button to use if i want...maybe you have this mode enabled by default so the idea of playing the tracks in order doesn't apply?

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:39:34 am »

No I'm running 3.33 as well. There are some customisations in Tools -> Options -> Media Network ->Advanced but I haven't touched them for Audio.

If you can see the screenshot attachment, selecting "All Tracks" gives me the option to select and play from a specific track.

I see you get the option to "shuffle and play", I don't but do have a shuffle button to use if i want...maybe you have this mode enabled by default so the idea of playing the tracks in order doesn't apply?

I don't have a separate shuffle button. Even if I did, it would never be used as it very seldom serves any useful purpose for classical music, which is my primary interest. In addition to the missing "All Tracks" option, I also don't have a "Metadata" option.

Does anyone else reading this know why Scobie and I are seeing such a different interface for the same iOS version of JRemote?
I see that you also have a "Metadata" option that is missing from my version of JRemote

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:21 am »

I'm using v3.33 of JRemote for iOS on an iPad, which appears to be the latest version. Since my OP, I found out that if I step back to the album and select "Play now" then all the tracks will be played, but I still have a problem with using the track listing. When I press and hold on any track in the list I get the following list of selection options.

Play now
 Play next
 Add to "Now Playing"
 Shuffle and play
 Play Doctor

As you can see, it doesn't include "All Tracks" and "Play now" only plays the selected track. Are you using a different version of JRemote or is there a setting in MC that affects this behaviour of JRemote?

If you go into an album, when you have the tracks listed there is a button on the top bar, left hand side on the iPad, right hand side on the iPhone that changes the default action for a press. The options are
Play Now
Play Next
Add to now playing
Play all now
Play all next
Add all to now playing

If you go into an album and long press on a track you'll get the all tracks option.

On the iPad you get the Metadata by hitting the i button.
On an iPhone that's only available in Playing Now.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 10:06:58 am »

If you go into an album, when you have the tracks listed there is a button on the top bar, left hand side on the iPad, right hand side on the iPhone that changes the default action for a press. The options are
Play Now
Play Next
Add to now playing
Play all now
Play all next
Add all to now playing

If you go into an album and long press on a track you'll get the all tracks option.

On the iPad you get the Metadata by hitting the i button.
On an iPhone that's only available in Playing Now.

When I view an album's track listing in JRemote on my iPad, the only 'button' in the top left corner of the screen is the gear icon for Settings. A long press on a track doesn't give me the All Tracks option and there is also no i button visible.

However, I stumbled across all these options when I accidentally opened a playlist. That contains all the items you and Scobie have mentioned. Is there any way to make them visible within a normal track listing (I seldom use playlists)? 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 10:21:32 am »

This is what I see in my one song album. I don't see any difference in playlists.
I tried this on an iPad mini 2 running iOS 12.4.6 as well as an iPad 6th gen running 13.5.1 and they were the same.
The button to the right of <Audio is the one that controls how tracks are added.
<Audio may or may not be there depending on how you got to the Album track listing but the one to control track adds should still be there.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 10:34:25 am »

This is what I see in my one song album. I don't see any difference in playlists.
I tried this on an iPad mini 2 running iOS 12.4.6 as well as an iPad 6th gen running 13.5.1 and they were the same.
The button to the right of <Audio is the one that controls how tracks are added.
<Audio may or may not be there depending on how you got to the Album track listing but the one to control track adds should still be there.

I can also see those missing options in a track listing that contains only one track, but they disappear when there are multiple tracks. Is this a bug in JRemote?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 10:48:40 am »

I can also see those missing options in a track listing that contains only one track, but they disappear when there are multiple tracks. Is this a bug in JRemote?
I really don't know what's going on here, this is a screenshot of mine with multiple tracks, works fine.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:25 am »

I really don't know what's going on here, this is a screenshot of mine with multiple tracks, works fine.

I can't face the hassle of trying to work out how to get an iPad screenshot transferred to my PC, so I've just taken a photo with my digital camera.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 12:05:17 pm »

I can't face the hassle of trying to work out how to get an iPad screenshot transferred to my PC, so I've just taken a photo with my digital camera.
I see, you created a customized view scheme. Does the same condition exist in the standard view? Audio->Album?

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 03:14:50 pm »

I see, you created a customized view scheme. Does the same condition exist in the standard view? Audio->Album?

I've just added Audio > Album to my customised view for JRemote, etc, and that does indeed reveal the missing buttons when I select an album and display its track listing. However, it's not yet obvious to me why my normal track listing fails to show those buttons. It doesn't appear to be something that is explicitly mentioned in the customisation dialogue box.

EDIT:  To be more specific, the customised view that fails to display those buttons has been given the name 'Classical DSFs' and, as its name implies, the rules for file display are that Genre = Classical, Media = Audio and File Type = dsf. The 'Show Categories In This Order' setting is Sub-Genre, Composer, Album, Work, Name.

The example shown in my screenshot above has the following metadata settings.

Sub-Genre = Chamber
 Composer = Beethoven
 Album = [SS] String Trios, Op 9
 Work = String Trio in G major, Op.9, No.1

The screenshot shows the associated four track names, which are the movements for that string trio.

It's not relevant to the current problem, but just in case anyone finds the SS prefix in the album title a little puzzling, I rip my SACDs three times, to get FLAC files for the CD layer, DSFs for the stereo SACD layer and DSFs for the multi-channel SACD layer. The three resulting albums are distinguished by the prefixes CD, SS and SM. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 04:24:39 pm »

I've just added Audio > Album to my customised view for JRemote, etc, and that does indeed reveal the missing buttons when I select an album and display its track listing. However, it's not yet obvious to me why my normal track listing fails to show those buttons. It doesn't appear to be something that is explicitly mentioned in the customisation dialogue box.
I don't know either, it was a bit of an educated guess.
It might simply be that it's just not been implemented for customized views.
It might also be that once you choose the mode in the Audio/Album view it will work for your customized view as well.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »

I don't know either, it was a bit of an educated guess.
It might simply be that it's just not been implemented for customized views.
It might also be that once you choose the mode in the Audio/Album view it will work for your customized view as well.

What exactly do you mean by 'mode'? I don't see that term mentioned in the customisation dialogue.

BTW, I've just edited my last post to add more info about my customisation settings.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 04:57:48 pm »

What exactly do you mean by 'mode'? I don't see that term mentioned in the customisation dialogue.

BTW, I've just edited my last post to add more info about my customisation settings.
You can't change the behavior in MC.
What I'm saying is that you might be able to get JRemote to change what it does by going to a standard view and changing that default mode to "Play all now" or "Add all to now playing" and that may work in your customized views on JRemote.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:03 pm »

You can't change the behavior in MC.
What I'm saying is that you might be able to get JRemote to change what it does by going to a standard view and changing that default mode to "Play all now" or "Add all to now playing" and that may work in your customized views on JRemote.

OK, I understand what you mean now. However, I've now read the 'Default tap mode' options properly for the first time and I find them rather confusing. What are the differences between 'Play all now' (which is the existing setting), 'Play all next' and 'Add all to Now Playing'? These modes all sound like the same thing to my untutored eye!

EDIT:  I've now tried setting each of those three choices as the default via the standard Audio > Album view but none of them changed the behaviour of my customised view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 05:40:21 pm »

At least in JRemote2, and in general JRiver terms:

'Play all now' - Adds all Tracks to Playing Now, replacing what was there, and starts playback.
'Play all next' - Adds all Tracks after the current Track in Playing Now, and hence plays them after the current Track. I don't think it replaces all later Tracks, but just inserts them next in the list.
'Add all to Now Playing' - Adds all Tracks to the end of Playing Now.

The mode is the "Play Mode", which I tend to write as PlayMode to indicate it is one setting.

Are you setting the PlayMode and then single (short) tapping a Track to start playback? That is what triggers the PlayMode. A long tap pops up the menu.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 06:12:55 pm »

At least in JRemote2, and in general JRiver terms:

'Play all now' - Adds all Tracks to Playing Now, replacing what was there, and starts playback.
'Play all next' - Adds all Tracks after the current Track in Playing Now, and hence plays them after the current Track. I don't think it replaces all later Tracks, but just inserts them next in the list.
'Add all to Now Playing' - Adds all Tracks to the end of Playing Now.

The mode is the "Play Mode", which I tend to write as PlayMode to indicate it is one setting.

Are you setting the PlayMode and then single (short) tapping a Track to start playback? That is what triggers the PlayMode. A long tap pops up the menu.

Thanks for clarifying those points, which led to me finding the root cause of my problem. A short tap on a single track brought up another track listing just containing that track. I then realised that the 'Show Categories In This Order' setting of Sub-Genre, Composer, Album, Work, Name for my customised view did not require Name at the end. Removing Name made the track listing for the selected work now show the missing buttons.

All is now well. Thanks to both Bob and yourself for pointing me in the right direction  :) :)

I will now head for my bed, as it is after midnight here in the UK.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:13 pm »

That is an excellent result.

Powerful software. But it does exactly what you tell it to do, which sometimes isn't what you want it to do!
Pages: [1]   Go Up