INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Numbers Wrong  (Read 2002 times)

mtssler

• Recent member
Track Numbers Wrong
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:27:43 pm »

I just cant figure this out after years of being a loyal user.

Many of my track numbers are perfect..........say on a 12 song Album, it states 1 through 12 perfectly as it should be.

BUT !!!!  On oh so many other albums, (yes I have hundreds).........any given Album can also have incorrect track numbers for example on a 12 song Album....4002 to 4014.

What is up with that???

And for more insight......I thought this would all be resolved when I built a new PC and paid to upgrade my JRiver, having the new program create a brand new library from scratch only based on my Music folders Meta-data.  Man, I thought it would re-create my new library almost perfect.

And so JRiver has!! .........but not in respect of track numbers.  Could it be my ripped music has all these flaws in the track numbers???  How can I check??  I very much doubt any of my Ripped Music on my PC is flawed as it works perfectly and shows perfect track numbers in more basic Media Players like Windows Media Player 12.........the new Groove Music etc.  Only on JRiver............the track numbers on some 30% of my Albums are all over the place.

Please help.........I only buy this software because I am sooooooo picky and want a great home for my Music !!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Track Numbers Wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:24 pm »

Check the tags.  The track numbers may be wrong in the file.  If not, you can recover them with the Library Tool called Update Library from Tags.  Try a few before you do very many.

You could probably also get them back by restoring your library (File > Library ...)

mtssler

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:07:22 pm »

Thanks Jim for your response regarding track numbers .

I checked and the Tag's all have the wrong track numbers, so what you are saying is my only choice is to do a library restore.

Unfortunately these track numbers went out of whack many many years ago and as such my library zip files only go back one year.  (Unless I have an ancient backup somewhere.)  Also, any old backup that would suffice is off of a previous computer and version of JRiver.  Doing a restore from a different computer and version simply never works.  I just tried a library restore for a different reason, to get back my Playlists after I built a new computer and upgraded JRiver.

No luck at all on Restore and I had to restore a second time back to the new version for anything to work.  So I am a little buggered.........Cant get my Track numbers restored, nor can get my playlists restored.  I really wish JRiver was more compatible from version to version and when exporting to a new computer.

Oh well.  Another two hundred hours ahead of me I guess.

mtssler

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:10:02 pm »

Also note........I dont get it........Why are my track numbers correct in other Media Programs using the same source ripped files??

Mike

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:49:15 pm »

In the tag editor, check the value in the [Track #] field and, at the bottom, check the value under Tag Dump. The field value is the number in the library and  the Tag Dump value is the value in the music file.  If the library field numbers are wrong and the file tag values are correct, then Update Library (from tags) will populated the library fields with the correct number.

mtssler

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »

Thanks DTC for this extra troubleshooting step.

I have checked the TAG DUMP 'track number' section and unfortunately it is also incorrect.

Do you know, to be very honest.......I MADE THIS PROBLEM.........but I can't quite remember my steps to create it. 
(I wanted to at first change all WAV files to Flac to have a consistent Flac Library)........
So I think I was experimenting with ways to arrange all songs in my library by File Type to start out.............Flac files vs. Wav files....so that I could grab all Wav files and choose convert !!!

The way I did this was to click on FILE TYPE (Flac, Wave etc......but know I have nothing else but these two).........and sure enough my whole library lined up with Flac files on the top and Wav files below..........yes all 12000 songs roughly.

THEN WHAT HAPPENED WAS I NOTICED THAT THE SONGS HAD BEEN RE-ASSIGNED TRACK NUMBERS FROM 1 to 12000 !!!!!!  And when I switched the view back to normal...........these new or temp track numbers remained forever since !!!!    ARGH !!

Hope this explains it step by step......... is there any hope now to restore normal and proper track numbers..............since any old version of the Library ZIP file I have before this step..........is in version 16 and also on my old PC.  (and again I have tried a Library Restore from one of these older zips where everything stops working as it is looking for the wrong file location I think.)

Help???  Or am I helpless........God I dont want to re-rip 700 or more CD's

Cant online identify albums and track numbers??  ALL of my discs are factory and none home-made.

Thanks Folks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 06:18:05 pm »

Here's something you can try on a few of the albums.

MC has a tool called Fill Track Numbers from List Order.  It's possible you ran it by mistake.

To fix it, put the tracks in order again.  I'm guessing that you'll see an album of 10 or so tracks at the top, then another album, and so on.

If that's true, then select the tracks of the first album and run that tool.  You should see the numbers remain the same.

But do it again on the second one.  You should see the track numbers start at 1.

Continue for a few albums.  Then check the albums against the list order from the CD.  Look online if you can't find the CD's.

Does that work?

Back up before you begin and every few minutes while you're working on it.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 06:41:44 pm »

mtssler:
Most of us have the track number in the actual file name... do you?

Are your track numbers the first thing in the file name?
If yes, what separates the track number from the next item in the file name?

Depending on your answers for the two questions above, we could help you use the the 'fill properties from filename' tool to repopulate your track number fields.

If they all follow the same template, or at least, all start with the track number, you will be able to reliably fix them en-masse.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 07:06:33 pm »

Typing  but Marko beat me. So, posting this anyway.

Don't worry - you do not have to re-rip. It is just a matter of figuring out the best way to re-populate the track # field.

Do your track names have the track number in them - like 01 TrackName? If so you might be able to update the track number field from the file names using Fill Properties from File Names. 

There is also an option to fill track numbers from list order. You would probably have to do it by album, but take a look at that also.

Whatever you try, do it on one or two albums first, not all at once.

mtssler

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 07:10:14 pm »

Thanks Marco......your response explains why perhaps other Media programs display THE CORRECT track number !!  Yes the correct track number is within the file name correctly........but JRiver library tags are not seeing it.

While the correct track number is not 'first' as you say in the file name..........the correct file number is definitely there in the track name.

Here is an example of Supertramps Track 3 'Hide in Your Shell' in the album 'Crime of the Century'
I am very sure 95% of every album of mine is tagged the same way in the same format.  5% may not be.  (And note most my albums were ripped originally into JRiver a decase ago.)

After my Music folder.  It reads..........Artist\Album\Artist Album Track Song Name Genre Rate
See below.

Users\New Office PC\Mike's Media\Music\Music\Supertramp\Crime of the Century\Supertramp Crime of the Century 03 Hide in Your Shell Rock 1411kbps.wav

Yet this shows up as track 523 in JRiver.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 08:12:16 pm »

So what happens to the library fields if you Fill Properties from File Names?   MC will not use the track # in the filename unless you tell it to.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 09:13:47 pm »

Might be wrong, but I seem to remember an alteration to the fill track numbers methodology whereby if you have the files in an album by album view and select them all and then select fill track number from list order, it will restart from 1 on each album. So if the files are listed by filename within each album they should get their track numbers restored correctly, assuming that all of the filenames have a track number. Just a thought.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 03:35:05 pm »

As mentioned before, 'Fill Properties from File Names' or 'fill track numbers from list order' are the obvious and MC internal options.
Alternatively, you can use an external tagging program like MusicBrainz Piccard: it will re-tag your music, will also let you decide which tags to overwrite if you only want to update the track numbers (you have to 'update library from tags' if you chose this path).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 06:11:11 pm »

The 'Fill Properties from File Names' won't pull the Track number from the middle of the filename, even when using a Template rather than the Auto mode. Using it would require a Regex expression, which could easily be done just in the [Track #] field as well, in a column in a View. But that is complex.

If the files are all named as per the example above, the 'fill track numbers from list order' does have a checkbox to reset the counter for each Album. I believe that is the easiest solution here. Very quick and easy actually.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 04:41:54 am »

If the files are all named as per the example above, the 'fill track numbers from list order' does have a checkbox to reset the counter for each Album. I believe that is the easiest solution here. Very quick and easy actually.

When the  "start over" option is ticked MC not only restart from the "Start At" value for each Album in the selection it will also do the same when it detects a Disc # change if there are any Multi-Disc Albums in the selection.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »

Yep, I think so.

But when you sort by [Track #] in MC, it actually sorts by [Disc #][Track #] automatically. So that isn't a problem when [Disc #] is populated.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up