INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Volume Control Problem  (Read 604 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Keyboard Volume Control Problem
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:49:01 am »

I was watching a You Tube Video while listening to music via USB DAC to a receiver.   When I used my keyboard volume controls to adjust the You Tube video volume, it changed the Media Center volume (top left slider) but not the iMac's internal speakers.   

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keyboard Volume Control Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:04:50 am »

I was watching a You Tube Video while listening to music via USB DAC to a receiver.   When I used my keyboard volume controls to adjust the You Tube video volume, it changed the Media Center volume (top left slider) but not the iMac's internal speakers.
Is this a change? I don't think the YouTube playback is integrated into MC's audio engine on the Mac.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 12:23:54 pm »

It didn't do this before - pretty sure its a new bug.   I was using a beta version of Safari so to be sure I just tried it with Google Chrome as the default browser and same thing.   The Mac keyboard volume controls operate only on the Media Center volume.

I also closed Media Center and then the volume control on the keyboard is working again and controlling the Mac internal speakers.   It isn't just You Tube.....it is the Mac speakers for everything.   

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 12:53:36 pm »

It didn't do this before - pretty sure its a new bug.   I was using a beta version of Safari so to be sure I just tried it with Google Chrome as the default browser and same thing.   The Mac keyboard volume controls operate only on the Media Center volume.

I also closed Media Center and then the volume control on the keyboard is working again and controlling the Mac internal speakers.   It isn't just You Tube.....it is the Mac speakers for everything.
Interesting...
It may be because I started using a slightly newer version of Xcode, I'll try reverting that on the next build and we'll see what happens.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:39:24 pm »

I was trying to port a program I wrote in Python to Xcode 11 and am pulling my hair.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:47:32 pm »

OK...this is crazy.   I just rebooted and now the keyboard controls BOTH Media Center and the Mac internal speakers.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »

The code that deals with the media keys on the Mac is used by several other programs and because of the way the Mac works, has to keep a "database" of other programs that use the media keys.
Here's what it currently has:
Code: [Select]

@"com.spotify.client",
@"com.apple.iTunes",
@"com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX",
@"com.apple.quicktimeplayer",
@"com.apple.iWork.Keynote",
@"com.apple.iPhoto",
@"org.videolan.vlc",
@"com.apple.Aperture",
@"com.plexsquared.Plex",
@"com.soundcloud.desktop",
@"org.niltsh.MPlayerX",
@"com.ilabs.PandorasHelper",
@"com.mahasoftware.pandabar",
@"com.bitcartel.pandorajam",
@"org.clementine-player.clementine",
@"fm.last.Last.fm",
@"fm.last.Scrobbler",
@"com.beatport.BeatportPro",
@"com.Timenut.SongKey",
@"com.macromedia.fireworks", // the tap messes up their mouse input
@"at.justp.Theremin",
                @"ru.ya.themblsha.YandexMusic",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter18",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter19",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter20",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter21",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter22",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter23",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter24",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter25",
                @"com.jriver.MediaCenter26",
                @"co.rackit.mate",
                @"com.ttitt.b-music",
                @"com.beardedspice.BeardedSpice",
                @"com.plug.Plug",
                @"com.plug.Plug2",
                @"com.netease.163music",
                @"org.quodlibet.quodlibet",

If you are using something not on this list that uses the media keys that might be an issue.
The reason each MC version is on there is it will allow for running more than one version. Not common but there is very little overhead.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 03:35:15 am »

More crazy.  I tried reinstalling earlier versions (102, 87) and they all do it.   If I have time, I can try my MacBook laptop later today if you think it would help.

I opened Apple iTunes and MC at the same time.....when I press the keyboard volume up and down I get one of the following results

1) The MC slide-bar "button" disappears and I can't change the volume in either the computer or the MC (USB-->DAC--> Receiver) with the keyboard.

2) The slide-bar button in MC controls iTunes volume with nothing playing in MC.   When I start a tune in MC, the iTunes song has an ugly 2 second dropout and then it works the way it should....MC volume controlled by the slider but it doesn't affect the iTunes (Mac internal speaker).   If I then exit MC, the volume in iTunes increases quite a bit.   

3) The keyboard volume controls only MC and not the computer internal speakers.

4) The keyboard volume controls BOTH MC and the Mac internal speakers at the same time.

5) With a tune playing on iTunes, Mac speakers, and MC open but not playing.   When I start a tune in MC, the iTunes audio out switches from Mac internal speakers to the USB DAC and MC output is through the Mac speakers. 

Notes:

I don't have any other audio equipment installed.  I have Plex running - but when I stop it, it makes no difference.
If I exit MC...everything works OK
I can video this if it would help.

I just realized when I reinstalled version 103....I'm missing a library and my other output options (Sonos, Marantz receiver)  -- I'm going to reboot the computer and finish this post later.  Going backwards and forwards with MC versions messed up my settings.

Note 2:

OK...back.   When I reinstalled...the MC output was to the Mac and not the DAC.  I have Version 103 now and I had to reinstall the library and change the audio path to the DAC.   Now, after putting it back the way it was, the issue is as I originally reported.  When there is nothing playing on MC, the MAC keyboard volume controls work fine.   When I start a MC tune.....the MAC volume controls don't work on the MAC but instead control the MC volume only.   If I exit MC>..everything works OK again.   There are volume slider controls in iTunes and SYSTEM SETTINGS/SOUND and amazingly, they work only on the Mac internal speakers the way it should be !!! It is only the keyboard volume controls that are at issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up