INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All Sound plays as 2ch 48/16 on Shield  (Read 1423 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
All Sound plays as 2ch 48/16 on Shield
« on: July 31, 2020, 04:54:00 am »

Not sure why but all music regardless of channels, 96 khz 24 bit it all plays as 2ch 48/16 on Shield.

Is this a limitation of the JRiver app or the Shield?

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Re: All Sound plays as 2ch 48/16 on Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:01:51 am »

Not sure why but all music regardless of channels, 96 khz 24 bit it all plays as 2ch 48/16 on Shield.

Is this a limitation of the JRiver app or the Shield?

I would like to report that even after upgrading to .108 the audio files still seem to be down grading to 2ch 48/16 regardless of channels or bitrate.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 05:09:37 pm »

I believe JRiver use the ExoPlayer2 for audio and video playback on Android, which as you have discovered resamples everything to 48kHz 16bit.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 07:30:02 pm »

I believe JRiver use the ExoPlayer2 for audio and video playback on Android, which as you have discovered resamples everything to 48kHz 16bit.

Thanks for the response, so that's it? We just have to live with 2ch and 48/16 for audio? 48/16 is not a huge concern but 2ch is a bit annoying.

I'm sure that JRiver has a reason for using this player but what's confusing is that I can stream movie files with multi channel audio.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:32:03 pm »

I believe that JRiver for Android uses the native Android playback engine.

JRemote2 on the other hand uses ExoPlayer2, which is better.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 02:17:50 am »

So some contradicting advice but no actual solution to my question.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 02:19:51 am »

PS this same issue exists on build .109

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 03:13:44 am »

I was a little out of date.
The front end for the mobile version uses Panel. The Android TV version required a java interface, to work with the remotes and support the format better. You can see some screenshots on the Android TV Play Store.

The Android TV version is still very early in development. It does not use madVR. It will eventually use ExoPlayer for video.

Exoplayer has been implemented.
26.0.21 (1/28/2020)

1. Fixed: (Android TV) Load library was calling the wrong activity.
2. NEW: (Android TV) Implemented ExoPlayer for video playback.

Also.
For now, yes. ExoPlayer uses Android's decoders. Android doesn't have decoders for AC3 or DTS. We will probably enable them later by using FFmpeg extensions.

There are other limitations.
It depends on what kind of content you're sending to the device. If you're trying to play video to an Android TV device as a DLNA renderer, try configuring it not to convert video. I tried playing some h265 videos to a Shield, and they were getting transcoded to mpeg-2, which ExoPlayer wasn't able to play. It was able to play the original format fine.

I'm not even sure if JRiver for Android is using Exoplayer2, or just Exoplayer. I thought I read somewhere it used the original Exoplayer, which is a little less capable.

So the answer to your question is what thecrow posted, probably.

But only Brad really knows, as Exoplayer is extensible so playback formats can be added to expand its capabilities. What gets added, or has been added, only JRiver knows.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up