INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fading and freezing problem  (Read 423 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Fading and freezing problem
« on: July 31, 2020, 08:06:53 am »

There is one thing I learned to live with and learned to accept it but always makes me wonder, why it still has to be there. I first talked about it 2003, then 2005 Matt told me it's by design:
During the actual fade, MC will not be responsive to user actions.  This is by design.
Now I got a hint from JimH that it actually could perhaps be a bug.  [edit: he in fact did not give that hint] So here I go again with my personal evergreen  ;D

I've set MC to fade out on stop. After hitting stop, MC starts to fade out and completly freezes for time it fades out the music. Still by design? If yes, I'd like to put a feature request at the MC27 board to change the design for this behavior  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Fading and freezing bug again
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:30:48 am »

It's not clear what you're describing.  What does "freezes" mean?

I haven't suggested that it's a bug.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Fading and freezing problem
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 08:38:39 am »

It's right that the program will be unresponsive during a fadeout on stop.  That's just the way it has to work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:03 am »

Let me explain in more detail.

We call Stop(...) and expect playback to be finished when it returns.

So if it's going to fade out, it needs to block on the stop call during the fade.

We could switch Stop(...) to be asynchronous and have it fade out then be stopped later.  But it would be a huge change and probably introduce new problems.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:52:37 am »

It's right that the program will be unresponsive during a fadeout on stop.  That's just the way it has to work.
OK, thank you Matt. I'll be quiet again. Perhaps I'll kindly bring it up again in a few years  ;)

I haven't suggested that it's a bug.
You are right. You didn't suggest it is a bug. It was not my intention to allege something you didn't mean. I didn't read carefully enough. Sorry for that!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:58:48 am »

We could switch Stop(...) to be asynchronous and have it fade out then be stopped later.  But it would be a huge change and probably introduce new problems.
I would like to see that switch but as obviously nobody else complains about that (I cannot remember that I ever read someone else describing it as bug/problem here at interact) I understand that you are not willing to give it a shot especially if there is a chance of getting other problems.

I appreciate that you took the time to explain a little further what the reason for this design decision is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up