INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower volume in MC compared to Qobuz. Same albums, same master, same songs.  (Read 353 times)

RobS

• MC fan

Hello MC and fans, newbie here.

First off, I just want to say how pleased I am with MC as a software. It has provided the best sound quality out of all the PC audio players and love all the options that are available. Thank you for supporting such great software and look forward to future updates!

I have bit of an issue I was wondering if anyone can help out with. I tried googling around and searching this forum for similar phenomena but nobody seems to have the issues I do.

I have removed a passive pre-amp in my speaker setup and I've been playing with the 64-bit Internal Volume control in MC. For some reason, I'm not getting the same amount of volume in MC that I am in Qobuz with the same albums, masters and songs.

Here is screenshots of my MC:

Options in MC:

DSP Studio

Analyze Audio:

Same album in Qobuz with the volume slider that matches the volume output I get in MC. I have more volume control in Qobuz than I do MC.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm using ASIO with Dante Virtual Soundcard (Focusrite Rednet).

Thanks for any help!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

Lots of things could be going on.

You're a new user, but you seem to have found your way around the UI to a lot of different settings.  However, your screenshots omit one important thing, so I'll ask a simplistic question:  Have you made sure you've turned the volume in JRiver up all the way??

Beyond that...

First thing you should know: your screenshot shows you have volume leveling turned OFF.  (The check box next to it in DSP studio is unchecked)  Therefore "Audio Analysis" results are irrelevant.

Second, you're routing all your audio to the Dante Virtual Soundcard software.  You could be doing anything in there.  How would we know?

Your screenshot shows that you have all effects in DSP studio OFF.  With this configuation, MC will not change the sound at all. It will neither lower the volume nor raise it for volume leveling, nor will it mess with sample rates, or make any equalization adjustments.  The ONLY thing it can do in this configuration is use its manual volume control.  If you set the volume to DISABLED, MC will then not modify the sound in any way whatsoever, and everything will be up to your sound card (or Dante, as you are currently configured).

As a test, I would suggest you direct the output of both Qobuz and MC to an actual soundcard, a hardware device.  Make sure the device's volume control (through the mixer or system control panel) is set to maximum.  Make sure JRiver's internal volume is either turned up all the way, or disabled.   Then compare and see what you get.

RobS

• MC fan

Hi there, thanks for the reply!

Have you made sure you've turned the volume in JRiver up all the way??

Well I'm experimenting with not having a pre-amp in my speaker setup and using JRiver to control the volume. But I've done full volume up in JRiver with my pre-amp and I get the same results, not enough volume on the dial.

First thing you should know: your screenshot shows you have volume leveling turned OFF.  (The check box next to it in DSP studio is unchecked)  Therefore "Audio Analysis" results are irrelevant.
Gotcha

Second, you're routing all your audio to the Dante Virtual Soundcard software.  You could be doing anything in there.  How would we know?
All Dante Virtual Soundcard does is sync up with my Rednet network for audio over ethernet. There's no volume control settings or anything like that. The only way I can send information from my computer is via ASIO.

As a test, I would suggest you direct the output of both Qobuz and MC to an actual soundcard, a hardware device.  Make sure the device's volume control (through the mixer or system control panel) is set to maximum.  Make sure JRiver's internal volume is either turned up all the way, or disabled.   Then compare and see what you get.
Same results when I go back to my original setup with having an external pre-amp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up