INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you call Soprano, Tenor etc "Vocal Range" or something else?  (Read 571 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen

I have a tag for Vocalist and want to add a tag that covers their vocal classification.

Vocal Range? Or is there another term for it?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Would you call Soprano, Tenor etc "Vocal Range" or something else?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:40 pm »

Or just "Voice", which is a common way to refer to the six classifications; Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano, and Soprano.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:16:27 pm »

It could be Vocal Range or Voice Type.  Or any combination of those words, like Vocal Type. Whatever you prefer.  You could call it Voice Classification or Vocal Category I suppose, but shorter field names work better in columns as they take up less space on your screen.  If you look at musical literature, all those terms are used depending on who's writing.

Don't worry about trying to match any "generally accepted" standard for esoteric or custom tags... there aren't any standards. You just have to do what makes sense to you.

P.S. Rod forgot contralto.  How many classifications there are depend what system you're in.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:30:02 pm »

Thanks chaps.

I usually use Basso to distinguish voice from the instrument. Then there's Contralto, Countertenor, and some are classified as Bass-Baritone. I also include "Narration" in there too.

You just have to do what makes sense to you.
Yes of course - just hunting up other suggestions that might be shorter (for the column display, as you say).

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:06:46 am »

Someone please help.  How would you classify "Tom Wait's" vocal range?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:10:53 am »

Someone please help.  How would you classify "Tom Wait's" vocal range?

My father always referred to him as "Throat Cancer"
Pages: [1]   Go Up