INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 155: Sreaming Web Media Issues  (Read 786 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Build 155: Sreaming Web Media Issues
« on: April 18, 2003, 05:07:26 pm »

1.      Trying to play some streaming web media, e.g. Bloomberg, doesn't connect, which isn't problematic itself, but the dialog that comes up is one line that is WIDER THAN THE SCREEN saying "Windows Media Player: Windows Media Player cannot find the specified file"

2.      When attempting to play other streaming web media, e.g. WOLF FM (128k), I will also get the "Warning" dialog saying "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."—even though only one unsuccessful attempt was made and the error message is inapplicable to Web Media.

3.      Attempting to play other streaming seb media, e.g. BBC Radio 1 the first time errors out producing a "JRR Reader" dialog that says "Failed to connect to a server. Reason: Object not found." Followed by a "Warning" dialog that says "Please select files to play." Subsequent attempts to play this just produce the second dialog.

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
  • don't take any wooden nickles...
Re: Build 155: Sreaming Web Media Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 11:35:58 am »

I get simular results using Web Media. (For instance the error message that displays wider than the screen for Bloomburg and other stations. Also the error mentioned for Wolf station.)

Since you are close to release, perhaps you could rally several volunteers to screen each genre and cull out the stations that MC currently will not play.  At the very least, the stations listed as "Featured" should be known to work for nearly all users.  

UI suggestions:  1) Make "Featured Stations" collapsible to leave more space for "My Stations". If someone has not added the hip-hop station to their "My Stations" or a play list by the 20th use, they probably never will.  2) Featured Stations would be more useful on the individual genre pages. These could be based on number of hits and/or reviews. 3) What determines the order of station listings? Are they listed in the order of submission? Alphabetized would be easier to search.  Logical grouping would be useful (ie - group all NPR affiliates.  Group by lanquage.)

naven_r_johnson

• Recent member
  • don't take any wooden nickles...
Re: Build 155: Sreaming Web Media Issues
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 12:27:14 pm »

When trying to play some stations, for instance KPLU - All Blues (at the top of Blues listing), the following error message is displayed:

Windows Media Player: Windows Media Player cannot play any items in this playlist. For additional information, right-click an item that cannot be played, and then click Error Details.

Right-click does not offer "Error Details" option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up