INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files stored on removable media revisited  (Read 1149 times)

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
Files stored on removable media revisited
« on: January 19, 2003, 02:34:49 am »

Thats BUCKO not Bunko :P

Okay as requested I`m writing a detailed description of what i`m trying to achieve.

I have a large number of files in my database that are stored on removable media, now, I have a DVD burner on order and when that arrives I will be copying the contents of several CDR`s onto DVDR disks. What I want to do is change the library entries in media jukebox so that they point to the new DVDR disks and not the old CDR`s. For example, lets say I have 4 CDR disks in the database each with say 5 albums on them. A typical mp3 file stored in Meda Jukeboxes library has an entry under location something like this

(0xAE39FEED):\DjDisc13\Fatboy Slim - Rokafeller Skank.mp3

(a normal file would just have something like C:\Mp3\CD Singles\Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant\01 Pretty Vacant.MP3)

So what i`m trying to do is
1) copy the contents of the 4 CDR`s onto a DVDR
2) Update the database entries in media jukebox to show the new location of the media files
3) discard the old CDR's from the database, as the files on those disks are now copied to DVDR

so the 20 albums that have database entries with paths pointing to 4 different CDR disks now need the database entries changing to point to the ONE dvdr disk.

okay, I presume for files on removable media the hex number (0xAE39FEED) is a code so that Media Jukebox knows what CD to ask for when you double click that track to play it. The thing is that number >CANT< be changed. My mp3 files are on a different disk now, but there is simply NO WAY to tell Jukebox this, so when I double click the file, it asks for the old disk, and won't be able to locate the file stored on the new disk that I have copied it to. Unless there is something fundamentally wrong with my particular jukebox setup, if I access file properties on a mp3 file stored on my hard drive, at the very top of the general tab, there is a box that contains the path and filename, this can be edited. If you select file properties for a file on REMOVABLE media you just get some white text in that box that says <Can't Be Renamed>
If you do a find and replace on a database entry thats on your hard drive, Media Jukebox gives you the option to find and replace based on location, which you can use to update the path to the media file, if you do a find and replace on a database entry relating to a file on REMOVABLE media, the program does not even give you the option to find and replace based on location.

In short, unless i`m missing something, there is no way to copy your mp3`s from a cdr to a dvdr or another cdr and then update the database entries to point to the new copies in Jukebox, without deleting and re-entering all your information. I have entered a lot of additional information on the files and it looks like I`ll have to re-enter it all again.

Heres my system info if you`re still not clear what im trying to achieve please ask and i`ll explain

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388
Install Path: C:\Program Files\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2538 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 89 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Files stored on removable media revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 04:30:33 am »

Buck_o_

What happens if you import the mp3 files from the DVD after it is burned.  Do those work?

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 04:43:52 am »

Yes they do work of course they would, but that means i`ve got two copies of the same file in my database, and one without the additional information that I spent ages entering. (as you know Media Jukebox lets you change information relating to files on cd`s, such as the info normally stored in the tags, and saves them locally)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 05:01:27 am »

There is also a "move" option in MC9.  

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 05:26:08 am »

Yay looks like i`m installing Media Centre 9 then, I`ll let you know if it works
Pages: [1]   Go Up