INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not able to see second MC23 on the network  (Read 2037 times)

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
Not able to see second MC23 on the network
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:37:45 am »

I have two pcs in the same room running MC23. They are on the same network and all network functions appear ok. I have a tv on the same network and this appears on both instances of MC and it will output to the tv.

My problem is that I have been unable to get either MC to show in the other. I can access each by gizmo on several devices but each MC fails to find the other. I have checked port 1900 and I believe it is available and allowed on both.

Having gone round in circles for some time I wonder if there are some suggestions where I might dig some more. This is not an area I have much expertise in I'm afraid.

Many thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
Re: Not able to see second MC23 on the network
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:04:36 pm »

Thank you for the fast response. I have been there before!

I spent a few hours on it today. I only need a lan connection so it should be straightforward I think. I have established, close to certainty.....
There is no port forwarding on the router - I don't need a wan connection
MC has port 1900. There are some svchost processes there also (ssdp) - I assume that is ok
Authentication is set for everyone
Media Network is set on, of course
I have never had a problem connecting mobile devices to either server
Sync is not set on as I prefer to do it my current way.

That is about it...... or is there something I am missing?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:42:25 pm »

Make sure that both instances of MC have all three DLNA options turned on in Media Network->Advanced.
Even though you are on a lan make sure that your don't have any SSDP filtering turned on your router.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:46:44 pm »

MC has port 1900. There are some svchost processes there also (ssdp) - I assume that is ok

Just to confirm, you are using port 1900 as the TCP Port set in "Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port"?

If so, don't do that. Assume that it is not okay. Use a high range port, like the default 52199.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »

Make sure the 2 PCs can telnet each other on the port you choose.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:37:25 pm »

Just to confirm, you are using port 1900 as the TCP Port set in "Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port"?

If so, don't do that. Assume that it is not okay. Use a high range port, like the default 52199.
Good advice.

If you have an Android, our Bingo SSDP app will tell you if MC is available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jriver.bingossdp&hl=en_US

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 07:29:19 pm »

Thinking further, you aren't using the same MC Access Key in each installation are you?

The Access Key is defined for a Library using Media Network. If you have restored a Library from one PC to another, and each is using MEdia Network, they may both have the same Access Key, which won't work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 02:25:27 am »

Gentlemen, many thanks for your responses.

- All three options turned on in both instances
- Port 1900 is set in options. (somewhere in the wiki it says 1900 is used!) I will try 52199 later today
- Telnet rarely returned a response, but on both occasions it did, it said unable to open connection
- Bingo happily shows both devices

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that networking is the most frustrating endeavour known to man" Jane Austen

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 02:34:20 am »

1900 is a special port used for device discovery. Media Center uses that as well for that purpose - but you should not use 1900 for the media server itself, since it can lead to conflicts due to that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 06:29:42 am »

Ok - got that. Have gone back to 52199

- telnet does not return any results just hangs
- MC has 52199  and there are also 2 or 3 unknown processes on each device. No idea if that is significant
- Bitdefender firewall allocates 52199 to MC
- Win Defender (2nd device) MC has any local port

Still unable to see second instance, either way

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 06:33:16 am »

Just to confirm there are different access keys.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 06:51:19 am »

- Bingo happily shows both devices
That means SSDP is working.

You don't have to enter 1900 anywhere in MC.  It's a commonly used port, not specific to MC.  It's only for SSDP.  It does need to be open in any firewall running on your internal network (not to the Internet).  But it appears to be working.

If it is working, click on one of the machines it shows.  You should see a response from that machine with a lot of text.  Then click on the link in the text.  You'll connect to your machine using Panel.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 08:41:57 am »

Thank you

Bingo is proving very difficult to run. It executes, gets results and the screen disappears immediately. Have forced stop and cleared cache  and instances many times. Message often appears 'Bingo keeps stopping'. Happens on 2 devices. Have tried c 40 times and got 1 stable screen!!

Interestingly, I got the page of text. I followed the link which responded by asking for log in details for the server. Authentication is definitely NOT set in Media Network. This on server 1

UPDATE
I have found if I start Bingo 8, 10, 15 or 22 times , one after the other, it will run and stick on the screen at some point!! I have got in on both servers, repeatably.

I am still unable to see the second server in MC either way

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 09:58:20 am »

Power everything on your network off, including your Android devices, the router and modem.  Then power up again.

Please describe anything unusual about your network.  Your routing may be a problem.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:45 am »

Ok have done that. The one change I have found is that Bingo now seems to run normally on both android devices.

I believe the network is pretty straight forward. 3 x up to date win 10 pcs, handful of android phones and tablets, tv and nas. It has been this way for 3+ years since a new laptop came in. At a file level it all acts as I would expect. I can access the medianuc to and from the laptop. I have no problems running teamviewer on both. Gizmo and MO4 run perfectly well on several devices and have no problem connecting to either server. Both machines have run MC perfectly for several years. I have made no config changes to the router and I would say that works perfectly for me also.

Can't think of anything else of interest but let me know if you can.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 12:02:38 pm »

Try uninstalling Bitdefender.

Is there just one LAN segment?  One router?

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 03:37:13 am »

Bitdefender uninstalled. No change. Can access both servers on network, in MO4, in Panel but not in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 09:05:36 am »

Are you looking in the lower of the two sections of Playing Now for the server you want to connect to?  That's where the servers are.  The upper section displays Renderers available.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 10:18:50 am »

That's thrown me. The bottom section of playing now I see is the library. Anyway attached is what I have

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 10:30:53 am »

The server isn't there. Should be. Click on add library.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:07 am »

That is a surprise. I had no idea it had to be added, assuming it would be available automatically. My bad!
My grateful thanks for hanging in there with me.

Kind regards
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up