INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie import creates duplicates  (Read 650 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Movie import creates duplicates
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:46:44 pm »

I have been adding movies in small numbers by pointing at the subdirectory where the new movie resides. That works fine.

Recently I purchased a larger number of movies and added them to my NAS at the same time.
When I selected the main movie folder directory as the starting point for the Import operation, I ended up pulling in about 20 movies that had been previously added one by one.

I deleted all the duplicates and then tried to import another group of movies a few days later. Once again about 20 movies that were duplicates (probably the same files as the last time) were imported again.

What can I do to fix this problem so that a search of the entire movie directory tree during an Import does not pull in duplicates?
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie import creates duplicates
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:13:33 pm »

Without more precise information, I would guess this is happening because you are importing from multiple shares from your NAS, which contain redundant portions of the directory tree.  Don't do that.  If MC finds a file at two different locations, they are considered two different files.

An example, showing the partial directory structure of each share:

Share1: (\\ROOT)
\Root
|-\All Movies
  |-\HD Movies
  |-\SD Movies
  |-\New Movies

Share2: (\\NEWMOVIES)
\Root\All Movies\New Movies

So let's say you put Batman in a folder under New Movies.  Now let's say you run an import of \\NEWMOVIES and then run an import of \\ROOT

MC will see Batman twice:
\\ROOT\All Movies\New Movies\Batman\Batman.mkv
\\NEWMOVIES\Batman\Batman.mkv

If that is your problem, don't run imports from shares that are subdirectories of higher level shares you are also importing.

You can cause the same effect by mounting shares as different drive letters if they let you access the same files.  F:\Batman\Batman.mkv is considered a different file from G:\Batman\Batman.mkv

MC uses the full file name, including the path, to uniquely identify files.  You will confuse that process if you make the same file have multiple paths, and try to import them all.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 06:24:56 pm »

I only have a single drive letter assigned to my NAS. I have separate subdirectories for music, movies and TV shows.

The import process is not duplicating the entire collection of movies but only a few of the most recent ones.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:42:11 pm »

A drive can also be a network share.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:24 am »

A drive can also be a network share.

On my workstation ... I map same NAS location on two drive letters ... one is read only for MC to access (don’t want MC changing anything there either intentionally or accidentally) ... one is full access for me to manage NAS (lots of manual workout here lol)

So in theory if I include both those drive letters in auto import ... I will have lots of duplicates
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up