INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Rename, Move & Copy' doesn't function properly  (Read 695 times)

andromaya

• Recent member
'Rename, Move & Copy' doesn't function properly
« on: August 09, 2020, 09:48:16 am »

I realized that importing cue files into MC doesn't automatically split the files into separate tracks. I searched the JRiverWiki and found that splitting can be done within MC, following https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cue_Files and the cited link to Listener's explanation of how to split cue files. Well, I followed the steps: after importing, I used the commands 'Rename, Move & Copy' > 'Copy and update database to point to new location'. First, I attemped this with one album, and it worked out just fine: the separate tracks were copied to the directory, there were no unexpected changes to the tags or whatsoever. Then I decided to do all the albums which needed to be copied, and did a bulk copy process. First I thought the overall size of all files was a bit too large. Well, I was right in sensing something weird. The files that had to be copied into the directory, did copy with corresponding filenames, but the tracks all contained the entire albums (I didn't check that when testing), and in the library, all the tracks were replaced accordingly, that is with flac files containing the entire albums.

I'm curious whether I made some stupid error myself (or rather that the post referred to in the wiki is faulty), or that this copy functionality itself is defunct. What is the right way to split and copy cue files into separate tracks (with corresponding files)? Is that even possible within MC?

Hope someone has some suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 'Rename, Move & Copy' doesn't function properly
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:00:17 pm »

I don't know of a problem in MC in this area, and Listener is quite knowledgeable. 

You could restore a library backup.  It's under the file menu.  It won't delete those new files.

andromaya

• Recent member
Re: 'Rename, Move & Copy' doesn't function properly
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 03:03:00 pm »

I don't know of a problem in MC in this area, and Listener is quite knowledgeable. 

You could restore a library backup.  It's under the file menu.  It won't delete those new files.

Thanks for the tip. I dealt with it another way. But the problem is real. In that thread with Listener they mention the same issue. Copying doesn't actually split the underlying (cue/flac?) file, just copies the source file into the data directory with the name of the track it should have copied. So yes, when, for example, I import Kind of Blue .cue into my library, it reads the albums as separate flac songs, and when I copy and update So What, it does create a file named So What .flac in the album folder. And when I play the track in MC, it's just So What that plays. However, the file So What.flac in the album folder is the same as the underlying audio file (the entire album, Kind of Blue.flac), and therefore the same size (say 1gb), which means that when I play the file in another media playing, such as Windows', it plays the entire album. In that thread referred to in the wiki with Listener's explanation, this exact problem is mentioned by the user having problems with his program. I should have read the entire thread before doing a batch process.

Just to be sure, the copy functionality is supposed to make a separate track/split the cue file, right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up