INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bedside setup advice please  (Read 1236 times)

thmpi

• Recent member
bedside setup advice please
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:30:06 am »

I am unsure on how to create a system for my needs which is for in bed headphone listening. I currently have audiophile quality headphones, HP amp and a R2R ladder DAC arriving shortly.
What can i use as a transport/ streamer that is handheld controlled. I now use a FIO X7 Mk II DAP and use that as the transport/dac and line it out to the HP amp but with a much better DAC coming I want to replace the fiio as its user interface is not good.

So how do i get the stream to my DAC and how to control it with a handheld device ?

I also have a windows 10 notebook and desktop PC both with MC26 .  I listen to my own flacs plus tidal.

Any advice would be much appreciated
thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: bedside setup advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 08:14:15 am »

An IdPi?  You could control it with Panel or any remote app.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: bedside setup advice please
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 05:30:22 am »

Jim's right the IdPi is pretty cool and gives you full MC26 compatibility and bit perfect audio if that's important to you.

Assuming you are getting a R2R DAC with USB input... no guarantee with compatibility though as some DACs require drivers even in Linux to fully unlock all capabilities, though most will still work in at least USB Class 1 mode by default.

Without special drivers, USB Class 1 DACs can send up to a maximum of 24- bit/96kHz hi-res files, but if you want higher quality files you’ll need USB Class 2 compatibility. Class 2 DACs supports up to 24  bit/192 kHz resolution files natively in Linux which is also good enough for DSD over DoP upto DSD128 (2x). (even on IdPi) To get better than that you need a DAC that has drivers for linux/windows/mac to fully unlock all its available bitrates.

Depending on your DACs USB chip and design, you may not get flawless playback of higher bitrate files on the IdPi without some occassional audio clicks and glitches. (for example, my RME ADI-2 DAC is flawless plugged into anything, but all of my other DACs have some USB noise on the IdPi at higher bitrates and with DSD over DoP - My RME DAC will even do bit perfect DSD256 DoP from iPad/iPhone using another program called Roon but it's really expensive and you have to pay a yearly license for it)

You could potentially use your phone or a tablet.  You just need the Apple USB/lightning camera connection kit for Apple or a USB OTG Host cable for Android.

If you want a bit perfect stream in Android you use either Neutron Player for Android or USB Audio Player Pro for Android. (both of which can use DLNA to access your MC library)

Note: Panel/JRemote apps for IOS or Android are not bit perfect and will resample audio too but are great remote interfaces for the IdPi.

USB Audio Player Pro on Android DSD64 DoP from JRiver MC over DLNA.
Advantage of USB Audio Player Pro is that it has its own Android USB driver that enables bitperfect audio and it also has integrated Tidal support.
It's a little clunky and interface is nothing special but it does the job if you want to stick to MC26.
ADI-2 fs by Hilton, on Flickr

Roon on iPAD DSD128 DoP from Roon Server
RMEADI2 AS STREAMER by Hilton, on Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up