INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shield Doesn't play movies ripped to a folder structure  (Read 1398 times)

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
Shield Doesn't play movies ripped to a folder structure
« on: August 20, 2020, 01:50:10 am »

I notice that MKV, mp4 etc files play nicely to the shield but movies ripped to a folder structure don't seem to play, the screen just goes blank.

Is this something that needs to be configured at the MC Server end instead? The index of these ripped movies has been added to the MC database and MC on windows plays them fine.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shield Doesn't play movies ripped to a folder structure
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:19:27 pm »

Theoretically, you have two choices to make folder rips work when using a PC as a MC Client.

1. Map a drive to the location where the Blu-ray folder exists, or use UNC Shares in your Library, so that MC can find the files as if they were local. You need to turn on the "Options > Media Network > Client Options > Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found". Jmone has described this process a few times, and possibly in his network examples in the Wiki. Yeah, in Example 3, here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Home_Networking_Examples

2. Set the "Options > Media Network > Client Options > Video Conversion" to a suitable format for your MC Client. That is done on the Client, not the Server, usually. Unfortunately the choice to convert to haven't changed in some time, so 4K isn't on the list.

So it is the Client that tells the Server what to do.

Now, with JRemote2 I believe video conversions are always done. You have a choice in settings to select the video quality sent to the Client, being the Shield.

I just tested using JRemote2 on my Android phone, playing folder rips of Blu-ray movies, using the High quality video setting, and they all played without problem.

So does the Shield have quality settings in JRemote2, and have you tried them all?

I plan to install JRemote2 JRiver for Android on my Sony TV shortly, if I can, so I guess I will see what options are available then. They should be the same as for your Shield.

EDIT:
Oh wait, this is for JRiver for Android TV, isn't it? My bad. I'll have a look at that now.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 09:32:48 pm »

Okay, so JRiver for Android doesn't play any movie files for me on my Sony Android phone.

Despite what has been said elsewhere, I believe that JRiver for Android uses the native Android playback engine. JRemote2 on the other hand uses ExoPlayer2, which is better.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 02:17:19 am »

Thanks but I don't think you have answered my question or helped me in anyway.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 02:20:03 am »

PS this same issue exists on build .109

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:27:33 am »

Thanks but I don't think you have answered my question or helped me in anyway.

Sorry about that. I was hoping to prompt you to look for video conversion settings in JRiver for Android TV, since I don't have it installed.

The other information I shared was to explain how other JRiver Clients play Blu-ray folder rips, so you might think about how to make JRiver for Android TV do the same.

Plus I did answer this question:
Is this something that needs to be configured at the MC Server end instead?

I explained that the settings to make this work are always on the Client. i.e. JRiver for Android TV.

Client conversion settings are the only way that JRiver for Android TV will play Blu-ray folder rips. If there are no settings, or it doesn't convert by default, then it can't play them.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »

Well, I installed JRiver for Android TV onto my Sony KD-65X9300D Android TV and I see there are no settings for managing conversion. Or much else of anything.

I guess Brad will have to answer your question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up