INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-audio File Playback  (Read 671 times)

CIC

Non-audio File Playback
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:53:57 am »

Hi, I'm trying 26.0.106 on Windows 10. Here is a newbie question as I couldn't find an answer on wiki and it is very annoying to me. I use it in audio-only mode and despite that the player lists the image files in any music album folder if I happen to play it with "Play in Media Center" or "Add to playing now" on the context menu. The player skips the image file(s) while playing the album unless it is the last listed file. When an image file is the last item on the playlist, it throws an "unable to play the image file" warning over whatever I'm doing on the PC. I focus on my job on the computer while music is playing on the background and it is very distracting when you get an unwanted message windows on the top of your work.

My question is: Where is the actual setting to make JRiver's player to import only audio files in order to prevent image files (artwork, cover, etc.) appearing on the player and displaying the warning without having to import the folder into the library? Briefly, I want it to exclusively recognize audio extensions as it is on every media player on the market.

I understand that this is not an issue for an album that is already imported to the main library but I frequently download music and want to play them without adding to a common library, (to delete after listening or tag appropriately when I have the time) so...

Thanks. And my antivirus is off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Non-audio File Playback
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 10:11:28 am »

The wiki has a topic on Auto-import.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:45:05 pm »

I've also noticed that because Win10 has an obsessive desire to be as helpful (not) as possible the windows context menu will "infer that image files can be opened with MC" even when those file types are not associated with MC. Especially when MC is in "Audio Only Mode" which switches off (some of) it's image and video handling ability.

Unless somebody can suggest a better way of not accidently adding non-audio files to MC all I can suggest is make file extensions visible in Windows Explorer so that you have a better chance of spotting, and avoiding, non-audio files when using Win Explorer to open/play files in MC.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 12:16:44 am »

I've also noticed that because Win10 has an obsessive desire to be as helpful (not) as possible the windows context menu will "infer that image files can be opened with MC" even when those file types are not associated with MC. Especially when MC is in "Audio Only Mode" which switches off (some of) it's image and video handling ability.

Unless somebody can suggest a better way of not accidently adding non-audio files to MC all I can suggest is make file extensions visible in Windows Explorer so that you have a better chance of spotting, and avoiding, non-audio files when using Win Explorer to open/play files in MC.

there is an option in MC that disables file import when that file is open by MC.

For auto-import ... i believe you can specify which file extensions you want to import in particular folder (for example so poster/background images dont get imported as images into MC in movie only folder)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:56:14 am »

Turn off the File Association in MC, and in Windows.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:32 am »

Turn off the File Association in MC, and in Windows.

JimH - Those options are already turned of, infact in all the years I've been using MC it has never been allowed to import anything other than Music Files.

When MC is in Audio Only Mode then in Win Explorer if you right click on an Image File, i.e. a JPG, you are presented with the option to open that file in MC and if you select that option the next thing you will see is MC telling you that a "Playback Problem" has occurred and the reason will inevitably be "The media type 'Image' is not supported".

When shell integration is turned off in MC the option to "open/play in MC" only occurs at the file level, but if it is turned on things get even weirder because Win Explorer and using Explorer within MC do things a bit differently:-

No matter if you select/right click on a File, Folder or Disc Drive MC you will always see the following options:-

Play
Add to Playing Now
More Play Options >
Send To >
Add Folder
Delete*
Rename*
Import Into Library
Customize View...

* Thankfully these 2 are greyed out (not selectable) at the drive level.

And guess what MC acts on the option the user has selected.

Whilst I'm not stupid/dumb enough to want to find out what would happen if I told MC26 to "Play my C: drive" I did open a folder with .jpg's in it and right clicked on one of the images showing in the right hand panel and under "Library Tools" the only option that was not available was "Link Tracks".

Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:09 am »

When MC is in Audio Only Mode then in Win Explorer if you right click on an Image File, i.e. a JPG, you are presented with the option to open that file in MC and if you select that option the next thing you will see is MC telling you that a "Playback Problem" has occurred and the reason will inevitably be "The media type 'Image' is not supported".
It's Windows doing that.  Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up