INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Android TV Device from Google  (Read 1582 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
New Android TV Device from Google
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:15:38 am »

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: New Android TV Device from Google
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:37:58 pm »

Are there plans to have JRiver for Android TV run on such a device?

I finally installed JRiver for Android TV on my Sony Android TV, and it doesn't work really, other than menu navigation and loading a remote Library. It can't play anything other than images and does that badly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:22:56 pm »

It should just work.

How old is the Sony?  Has the firmware been updated?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:54:32 pm »

2015 4K Sony KD-65X9300D with all the latest updates offered. I've rebooted the TV to see if that fixed the issues. There isn't much else I can do on the TV or in JRiver for Android TV.

Is JRiver for Android TV expected to work on all Android TV hardware platforms & devices? That might be the issue here, if testing and development are being done on a Shield.

The Sony Video and Music Apps do work when pulling media from a MC Server, and sometimes/sort of when I push media from NC to the Sony. So it is capable of playing the media. But using the separate Sony Apps is annoying, and the navigation is pretty useless. I still don't have an urgent need for JRiver for Android TV to work on a Smart TV, but I will in future and would like to see it working nicely.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 08:14:23 pm »

There aren't many devices that we can test on.  NVIDIA Shield is the best.  We have another, cheaper device, but it doesn't work well.

We use Google's development tools which let us target different platforms.  Theoretically, that should work.

2015 is an early device, as you know.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 01:10:51 am »

Getting back to this, yes, it is designated as a 2015 design, but I bought it in December 2016, so no doubt it had some hardware updates along the way.

It is an advanced Smart TV running Android TV version 8.0.0 with Kernel version 3.10.79 from March 4th 2020. Very recent.

I was hoping JRiver for Android TV would run on such a platform. Really, after the Shield and maybe a few lower-end Android TV devices, it should run on Android based Smart TVs, such as the Sony, best. Those are the primary platforms for Android TV. I would also have expected it to run on Android TV version 7 and above, as many cheaper Android TV devices I looked at run version 7.

Also, MO 4Media runs on my Sony TV pretty well. It doesn't play all video formats, as I understand it uses the Android playback engine/components, rather than ExoPlayer, but it works for Video, Audio, and Images.
Pages: [1]   Go Up