INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to a new NAS. Want to make sure I don't mess up my files  (Read 448 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

I'm attempting to use the "Rename, Move copy " feature to point my MC library to the new file location.  I've already copied the files to the new NAS (didn't use MC for the copy).  So I thought the search and replace option would be the choice to use  (e.g. search for "NAS" and replace with "NEWNAS").  The file paths are otherwise identical.

It appears MC still is going to try to copy the files (even though they already exist at the new location).  This would be OK I guess but might take a while...  or maybe it just skips the copy as it recognizes the files are there.  Anyway I cancelled the command as it was "preparing" the copy.  Just trying to understand how this works.  Please advise...  and thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving to a new NAS. Want to make sure I don't mess up my files
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 11:53:02 am »

I've already copied the files to the new NAS (didn't use MC for the copy).  So I thought the search and replace option would be the choice to use  (e.g. search for "NAS" and replace with "NEWNAS").  The file paths are otherwise identical.
Rename, Move, or Copy would have worked before you did that.  You can still repair it.

Take a look at the wiki  topic called Moving Files.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Moving to a new NAS. Want to make sure I don't mess up my files
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:56:19 am »

Posted too soon.  Just saw the dropdown at the top of the windows.  "update database.... no copy"  .  Works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up