INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to rename a file when the CD did not contain that data  (Read 507 times)

stevenkl

• Recent member
How to rename a file when the CD did not contain that data
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:24:38 pm »

Recently I added a disc to my MC26 and the data for artist, title of the work, and track names was not on the disc.  It is a classical work, and new (dropped today) so none of the online databases has it.  When attempting to rip, a screen pop came up to enter manually that information, which I did.  It did not save or associate to the ripped tracks or the title or artist.  It showed up as "Unknown Artist".  How do I change that and get the information entered and associated with the files?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to rename a file when the CD did not contain that data
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:53:15 pm »

Select the files. Edit the [Artist] tag.

Search for "Tagging" in the Wiki.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stevenkl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:33:39 pm »

Interesting.  I deleted the "unknown artist" file in MC26.  Read up on tagging, I'm still confused, but that's my problem and not yours.  Then went back to MC26 to rip the CD again, and the data I laboriously entered by hand matched to the CD at the start of the rip process.  It's a long piece (63+ minutes) so it is still ripping but appears to be OK.  Thanks for the pointer.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 08:10:29 pm »

You're welcome. It sounds like you are on the right track now.

Just FYI, when a file doesn't have the correct tags after ripping, don't delete it. Fix it in MC after the rip is finished.

I could write a small novel around why you shouldn't delete them (I have previously, almost), but suffice to say MC keeps track of deleted files, and will re-use tag information previously entered if the same file is imported again. That can be more confusing than just fixing the file initially in MC, instead of deleting and re-ripping or re-importing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up