INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View does not respect tag updates  (Read 651 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
View does not respect tag updates
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:46:42 pm »

I'm not sure if this is new behaviour or how views have always behaved but I've recently noticed that (some?) views do not respect tag updates. Best explained by example

I have a view to show unwatched movies, it is configured as

View As: Panes
Show Categories in this Order: 2 custom fields and 1 expression (which just turns duration into 1 of 3 buckets)

In the main tree view, I now have a child nodes for that 1st level category.
Click on one of those nodes to see the contents in the main pane.

Now select a library entry and open the tag window
Change the value in the tag which the 2nd category uses.

The view does not update.

Click the refresh button on the pane.

The view updates and now shows 2 categories in the pane.

i.e. it behaves like clicking on the node in the tree selects a set of library entries for display + sets the rules for how to display those entries but it is not a truly live view, it only updates when you click refresh (or change the view via the tree section)

IMV this is a bug as the main view is now decoupled from the tree

Note that the example above is contrived to illustrate the problem, perhaps a more relatable example is where one of the tags (used in the tree view) is based on whether an entry has been played or not and you do the following

* go to a view
* watch the film
* finish watching
* look at the view again (without doing anything else other than watch something) to decide what to watch next
* wonder why the film you've just watched hasn't disappeared from the view
* check the tag to see if the last watched tag has updated
* click around and then notice it disappears

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: View does not respect tag updates
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:50:51 pm »

In Theatre View, in my Unwatched View, episodes disappear as soon as I have watched them. The View is immediately updated.

In Standard View changing tags does not immediately update the View. Not until you click around to force a refresh, or click refresh. This is normal. It is sort of my preferred approach, unless MC learns to read my mind.

For example, I was changing Genres on some files this morning, where some files had the Genre "Drum'n'Base" while others had "Drum'n'Bass". Of course it should be "Drum'n'Bass", so I searched on "Drum'n'Base" and edited the Genre tag in place using a Panes View. The files all stayed visible in the View until I had finished editing, which is what I wanted so that I could see the change. If the View refreshed as soon as I changed the Genre, the edited files would have disappeared from the View immediately, as they no longer matched the search criteria. This would be bad, as I often make mistakes when using Panes View tagging. It is tricky when you don't do it often!

So, as far as I know, it is the way Standard View Views have been working for a long time.

In your specific contrived example it may make a difference if you had "Filter in both directions" turned on in the View definition, but I'm not sure on that. I tend not to see that feature, but it is handy for Panes Views, I believe.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 04:51:57 am »

I believe "Filter in both directions" is for the panes section alone so that the upstream categories will update when a value is selected downstream. It doesn't have any impact on when the contents of the view itself updates.

I can understand preferring a view to not refresh automatically but not having the option to make it update automatically on tag changes seems like a gap to me.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:22:51 pm »

Ok. I was mostly sharing that I don't think this is new.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:01:28 am »

Yes, good to know it is by design so thanks for confirming that
Pages: [1]   Go Up