INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 26.0.106 crashing while idle [Solved]  (Read 799 times)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
MC 26.0.106 crashing while idle [Solved]
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:22:11 pm »

MC 26.0.106 has been crashing on me while idle.  I've not been playing anything (for hours), go to open JRemote on the iPad, and find that no connection is possible.  Going to the desktop and starting MC, it recognizes that it didn't perform a successful shutdown.

I recently got an nVidia Shield, and have been powering up and down the usual renderer (an Odroid running Kodi) that MC sees.  The TV and Yamaha AVR are also both on the network.  Earlier this summer, when I was replacing the Odroid C2 with a C4, I also noticed similar behavior -- even though nothing was playing, MC seemed "sensitive" to DLNA devices coming and going on the network.

I've not yet tried having logging routinely on, but can if that would help.  Any suggestions?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 26.0.106 crashing while idle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:11:10 am »

I get that message if Windows restarted while MC was running ... things like UPS failure or some update that forces Windows to restart

Check if something was not updated that cause a forced restart (Windows update or AV update) ... my PC now always ask me if I want to restart (don’t remember what I did in settings) ...

I still got this message time to time when my daughter unplugs pc from ups accidentally :/.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 09:51:44 am »

Check if something was not updated that cause a forced restart

I'll check.  With the setup change in the living room now complete, I think things will be stable on the network.  I may have to experiment a bit to trigger any repetition of the problem!

I was just curious whether others had seen this or if there were any portions of MC's DLNA/UPnP routine "scanning" that would become upset if a renderer disappeared in the middle of communication.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:44:36 pm »

I have a little gigabyte Brix running 24/7 as a backup server with MC running in standard view and not accessed for weeks on end and I have never seen this happen. The dlna renderers on the network are on and off regularly throughout these periods so I can't see that being a problem. There was some talk on the forum a while back about problems with MC when left idle in Theatre View, but I was under the impression that that had been sorted.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:34 pm »

I have a little gigabyte Brix running 24/7 as a backup server with MC running in standard view and not accessed for weeks on end and I have never seen this happen.

Yes, the desktop (Windows 10 1909) stays up all the time, except for Microsoft updates (!), with MC usually running server-only.  It's been quite a long time since I had issues with JRemote connecting.  I first noticed it when trying the C2-to-C4 upgrade, so I attributed to that activity, but that is a complete guess.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:59:03 pm »

The only diference then is that I leave both the main program and the server active all of the time.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:21:57 pm »

Antivirus??

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:05:20 pm »

Antivirus??

Windows Defender... both on this Windows 10 machine (setup late Jan 2020, henceforward to be known as the Before Times) and the Windows 7 machine before that.  Aside from adjusting the firewall to permit MC connectivity, I've never heard a peep from it.

I've seen the threads go by regarding Windows Defender woes, but (after reading the first few), I didn't pay them much attention since I hadn't experienced many oddities.  It's always possible a recent Microsoft update has borked something, I suppose.

My inclination at the moment is to leave everything up and running (with no changes) and see if the idle crash repeats.  I guess I can read through the Defender woes while I'm waiting...

EDIT: I should note that the Kodi upgrade adventure to new hardware started in early August.  I don't recall any problems prior to that.  So, several months of bliss, even with Windows 10, at least until a Microsoft-forced update.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 07:43:33 am »

You might find an idea here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126493.0.html

Look carefully at the Windows Defender thread.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 08:59:29 pm »

Look carefully at the Windows Defender thread.

Will do.

No repeat of the problem thus far, despite random yanking of the C4's power (both with MC running server-only and with the GUI up).  Always hard to diagnose a non-repeatable problem!  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up