INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does "device uses only most significant 24 bits" function works even if...  (Read 976 times)

aljosa

Does "device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc.)" function works even in case if asio driver wants 32bit floating
I am wondering that, cause my asio driver wants 32 bit but receiver can only accept 24bit. But i don't know if asio driver wants 32 bit floating or integer, since it doesn't say anywhere.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen

Does your device play the music files you send to it? If yes, then why worry? Most asio drivers have a properties page which allows you to select the number of bits they expect to get.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

aljosa

My device doesn't have properties page. And I am worried because even though it plays the files, it may truncate that extra 8 bits without dithering.

aljosa

Re: Does "device uses only most significant 24 bits" function works even if...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:07:20 am »

I just found out that my ASIO driver wants 32bit floating data. So do i need to use "device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc.)" function in case of floating data?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 11:40:36 am »

I just found out that my ASIO driver wants 32bit floating data. So do i need to use "device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc.)" function in case of floating data?
No.

aljosa

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 12:16:37 pm »

ok, thank you very much

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »

As far as I know, all ASIO drivers want 32 bit data. The reason that option was put there is because most DAC's have 24 bit chips for output and JRiver is being used for volume control. The exceptions I know of with 32 bit DAC chips are Exasound, MOTU, some new Steinberg ones, and some ASUS ones. I'm sure there are others. If you are using JRiver's volume control, then you want to select "device uses only most significant 24 bits" unless you know for sure you have a 32-bit DAC chip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up