INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why must I contionually restart BubbleUPnP  (Read 1339 times)

rick5

• Recent member
why must I contionually restart BubbleUPnP
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:46:28 am »

I rely on BubbleUPnP to stream audio from MC26 to Google Chromecast Audio devices. After idle time (whether sleep or not), my Chromecast devices (DLNA) disappear from MC's list of available playing now devices, but reappear and function fine after I go restart BubbleUPnP.  Is there a way to avoid the need for restarts?
(Windows 10 PC, latest versions of Java and BubbleUPnP, home wifi, good connection (wifi from a decent Linksys router, provider is Google Fiber, with the Fiber-included router's wifi turned off as they and MC recommend, if that could matter) (I'm not very technically knowledgeable, btw, so if anyone can help, in simple terms, please). Thanks! ... Rick

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: why must I contionually restart BubbleUPnP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:30:00 pm »

I find this happens sometimes in my setup, but not very often. Usually the reason is my local network has bounced for some reason so my guess in your case is it would be network related.

Another explanation could be an IP clash...is something else waking up and knocking it out?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 06:04:18 pm »

Are you talking about BubbleUPnP on a mobile device, or BubbleUPnP Server running on the same PC as MC?

I would guess as you have Wi-Fi turned off in your router, you are talking about BubbleUPnP Server on the PC.

MC doesn't see Chromecast devices directly. MC can see Bubble as a DLNA device, and Bubble then plays to the Chromecast device.

I'm finding DLNA devices "falling off the radar" for MC becoming a more common issue, but I think my network is partly busted, so I can't be sure it is MC's fault. I use BubbleUPnP on an Android phone, and I find it takes quite a while and some fiddling to get MC to see it. Usually, I have to connect BubbleUPnP to the MC DLNA Server and play something to the phone using BubbleUPnP as the DLNA Controller before BubbleUPnP will show up in MC.

Sometimes running PingTools or JRiver BingoSSDP on the phone will speed up the detection process, but not always. I also see BubbleUPnP sometimes disappear from MC after some idle time. I put that down to battery management on the phone, but turning that off for BubbleUPnP doesn't fix the issue.

Overall, it is an annoying issue and one that is difficult to diagnose.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:17:52 pm »

but I think my network is partly busted, so I can't be sure it is MC's fault.

Yeah I think you can be pretty sure that's the case. I have MC talking to bubble and they both live on the same NAS, and it is rock solid until there is a network glitch which will cause the CC to momentarily go off the air. This is still pretty rare, but really is the only thing that causes an issue.

What can be difficult is working out how to fix it, sometimes need to restart the CC, sometimes Bubble, sometimes both and sometimes it comes back on its own but I'm pretty confident MC is not part of the problem. It is just seeing what is advertised so it's all in the Comms.

@rick5 where is BubbleUpnP running? When the server goes off the air does it pass its internet connectivity test? Can you ping it internally?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 03:57:13 am »

Download the DMRA from my sig, and see if that can discover your Bubble hosted Chromecast renderers. Of particular interest would be if there were occasions where the DMRA can see them, but MC cannot. On the other hand, if both the DMRA and MC fail to see the renderers at the same time, then you can be pretty sure that it is not particularly an MC issue..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up