INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files  (Read 1903 times)

alexppg

• Recent member
Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:59:31 pm »

I use Media Center as my exclusive application for the complete workflow of storing and listening of my collection.  I often have issues with my Classical tittles, where the only difference with other genres is the length of the Artist, Album, and name.

The issue as reported by Media Center is “Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs.”

Attached the screen capture of the error: "Error.jpg"

Attached screen capture of the directory structure and files in Windows 10.  I can see that Media Player is truncating some filenames which is ok with me: "Directory.jpg"

Attached screen capture of file name as listed in Media Player: "jriver directory.jpg"

This is the log from clipboard:
Tagging error: M:\Leoncavallo, Ruggero (1857-1919)\Pagliacci (Callas • di Stefano • Serafin • Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala) _Callas Remastered_ 2014 hdtracks 24bit_96kHz_\09 - Leoncavallo_ Pagliacci_ act1_ sc2_ Nedda! Silvio! A quest’ora che imprudenza (Silvio, Ned….m4a
Tagging error: M:\Leoncavallo, Ruggero (1857-1919)\Pagliacci (Callas • di Stefano • Serafin • Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala) _Callas Remastered_ 2014 hdtracks 24bit_96kHz_\12 - Leoncavallo_ Pagliacci_ act1_ sc2_ E allor perche, di', tu m'hai stregato (Silvio, Nedda,….m4a
Tagging error: M:\Leoncavallo, Ruggero (1857-1919)\Pagliacci (Callas • di Stefano • Serafin • Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala) _Callas Remastered_ 2014 hdtracks 24bit_96kHz_\17 - Leoncavallo_ Pagliacci_ act2_ sc1_ Presto, affrettiamoci (Chorus, Tonio, Beppe, Silvio, N….m4a
Tagging error: M:\Leoncavallo, Ruggero (1857-1919)\Pagliacci (Callas • di Stefano • Serafin • Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala) _Callas Remastered_ 2014 hdtracks 24bit_96kHz_\23 - Leoncavallo_ Pagliacci_ act2_ sc2_ No, Pagliaccio non son (Canio, Chorus, Silvio, Nedda).m4a
Tagging error: M:\Leoncavallo, Ruggero (1857-1919)\Pagliacci (Callas • di Stefano • Serafin • Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala) _Callas Remastered_ 2014 hdtracks 24bit_96kHz_\24 - Leoncavallo_ Pagliacci_ act2_ sc2_ Suvvia, cosi terribile davver non ti credeo! (Cannio, ….m4a

Additional notes:
Running = JRiver Media Center 26.0.106 (64bit)
This error occurs on some of the records in FLAC or M4A, Hi-res or regular 16bit.
I can make the issue go away by chopping off the length of NAME and therefore filename.   Not what I would like to do.
I appreciate any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 02:54:11 pm »

You're using  the file name to store information that could be in the tag.  You could fill the tags (custom or standard).

The limit may come from the NAS.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »

Do you have "Options > General > Advanced > Support extra long file names (experimental)" turned on.
There is also a Registry setting in Windows 10, and I'm not sure in the MC settings changes that. Read https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10  Google "256 character limit" for lots more information.
There may also be a setting in your NAS, or it just may not support extra long file names, if you are using one.

The MC setting isn't really experimental any more, and most of the long file name functionality is included in MC without it, but you have extra long filenames. I tlooks like the maximum length of the full path for your files is 258 characters, including the drive letter. So you are hitting the 256 character limit.

As Jim says, you could move a lot of that information in the Album name to other tags, which would shorten the full path and filename. Or you could leave all that data where it is and just use a rule other than "M:\[Artist]\[Album]\[Track] - [Name]" for the filename. Something shorter that still makes sense.

There is a Wiki on tagging classical music, which just links to some old threads. But there are much more recent threads in the forum as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

alexppg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:13 pm »

You're using the file name to store information that could be in the tag.  You could fill the tags (custom or standard).

The limit may come from the NAS.

The file name is created by Media Center when I use the Rename, Move & Copy Files function.   Using the file name convention "[Track #] - [Name]".  MC is truncating automatically but seems to be an issue.

alexppg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »

Do you have "Options > General > Advanced > Support extra long file names (experimental)" turned on.
There is also a Registry setting in Windows 10, and I'm not sure in the MC settings changes that. Read https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/enable-long-file-name-support-windows-10  Google "256 character limit" for lots more information.
There may also be a setting in your NAS, or it just may not support extra long file names, if you are using one.

The MC setting isn't really experimental any more, and most of the long file name functionality is included in MC without it, but you have extra long filenames. I tlooks like the maximum length of the full path for your files is 258 characters, including the drive letter. So you are hitting the 256 character limit.

As Jim says, you could move a lot of that information in the Album name to other tags, which would shorten the full path and filename. Or you could leave all that data where it is and just use a rule other than "M:\[Artist]\[Album]\[Track] - [Name]" for the filename. Something shorter that still makes sense.

There is a Wiki on tagging classical music, which just links to some old threads. But there are much more recent threads in the forum as well.

Yes I could change the names to be shorter but to be frank, never had the issue before in itunes as it automatically truncates filename to something like 20 characters.   MC is truncating but to the max.   and that maybe the issue...

Maybe there is a string function I can use to truncate filenames shorter than what MC does and therefore not running into problems.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 10:18:55 pm »

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 10:24:34 pm »

Maybe there is a string function I can use to truncate filenames shorter than what MC does and therefore not running into problems.

So use the file naming convention of;

Left([Track #] - [Name], 20)

MC is way more powerful than iTunes, but it doesn't do anything automatically without your permission or settings, if it can help it. So it truncates to the maximum file length. You can use the Left() function to set any length you want for the filename.

alexppg

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:47 pm »

So use the file naming convention of;

Left([Track #] - [Name], 20)

MC is way more powerful than iTunes, but it doesn't do anything automatically without your permission or settings, if it can help it. So it truncates to the maximum file length. You can use the Left() function to set any length you want for the filename.

I really appreciate your help.   I tried this and it worked on a few.   

Before I try to complete the library, could you please help me with the following question.  if by applying this formula there is a case where two filenames are equal (because the first xxx number of characters are the same) how do I resolve that conflict?   is there a way to then add a random number or maybe add sequential #.

example...

track 1 = "Albeniz: Concerto Piano a minor op78 "Concierto Fantástico": 1. Allegro ma non troppo"
track 2 = "Albeniz: Concerto Piano a minor op78 "Concierto Fantástico": 2. Rêverie e scherzo"

if i truncate to 20 they will both result in the same file name.

thanks again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 05:56:28 pm »

if by applying this formula there is a case where two filenames are equal (because the first xxx number of characters are the same) how do I resolve that conflict?   is there a way to then add a random number or maybe add sequential #.

MC should do that for you automatically. Typically it would add the suffix " (1)", " (2)" etc. if the same filename existed in the same directory. You should test that carefully before globally implementing it.

Did you try turning on the "Support extra long file names (experimental)" setting? You haven't said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up