INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Action Window option has no effect  (Read 775 times)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Show Action Window option has no effect
« on: September 07, 2020, 05:28:26 am »

This is a repost of this.

Startup Interface -> "Show Action Window" option seems to be ignored. The Action Window is always visible on the bottom left (minimized or not, preserving the previous state - but always there).

There is no way to hide it either, it can only be minimized. I would like to close/hide it completely, as the option implies.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Show Action Window option has no effect
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »

Yep. The Action Window is always there, because it is used to bring the attention of the user to activity that is happening. Sometimes flashing to get that attention.

The only thing the "Show Action Window" setting does is maximise the Action Windows on restart of MC, if you had it minimised when you last closed MC. That's it.

I think this is all a design choice, made long ago. There had been a few discussions on it. Also this: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Startup_Settings

"Show Action Window: Ensures that the Action Window is not minimized (hidden) when starting the program."
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 02:54:52 am »

No. I've just tested all combinations and that's not how it works. The "Action Window" always retains the previous state regardless of the "Show Action Window" option.

Other notifications show up as separate panels on the sidebar, and can be closed/dismissed (see example with the Check For Updates notification below). The Action Window panel is always there, and can be minimized but not dismissed. I would like to be able to close/dismiss it, and I think that settings option should make it disappear on startup when checked (I guess it doesn't work because the action window no longer has a Close button).

The action window is completely useless to me (specially on Clients) since I never use the functions there, and AFAIK the list of items there is not customizable (I can remove some by unchecking Features in settings, but the panel is still there).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 04:11:04 pm »

No. I've just tested all combinations and that's not how it works. The "Action Window" always retains the previous state regardless of the "Show Action Window" option.

Sorry, that isn't correct.

Untick the setting.
Minimise the Action Window.
Close MC and reopen it.
The Action Window will remain minimised.

With that setting ticked the Action Window would have been maximised on restart of MC.

Tag, Build Playlist, and Sync Handheld can be used on Clients. Possibly Camera, but I haven't tested that. Burn Disc should work, but again I don't use it. Rip Disc can certainly be problematic on a Client.

PS: Good choice of movie in your images. I loved that movie.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »

OK, I tested some more - on the server, I was not closing the Media Server so the app was not actually exiting.

On Server - works as advertised:
- With "Show Action Window" on startup checked, MC starts with the panel visible
- With it unchecked, it preserves the last state (minimized)

On Client - option is ignored:
- regardless of the option being checked or not, the panel always starts as it was when MC closed.

Regardless - what I want is to HIDE/CLOSE the darn panel completely. I don't care about it. Can we have an "X" on it please?

PS: Titan A.E. FTW!

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 05:16:39 pm »

Agreed I'd also like to close it.

Interesting question also-
How many of the options are actually useful *now*?
For example, I don't think I've burned a CD in a long time...

Could it therefore be made more 'relevant?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 05:45:13 pm »

Well, I was probably always using that setting on my Workstation running standalone, rather than as a Client.

But I just tested with it running as a Client, both starting with the default local Library then switching to the Server Library, and starting connected to the previous connected Server Library. In all cases the Action Window remained minimised.

All my testing was with the Action Window minimised when I closed MC, as if I leave it maximised MC does open with it maximised on restart. As above, all the setting does is maximise the Action Windows if it was minimised when MC was closed. If the Action Window was already maximised it is left alone. Mind you, I have Auto Updates turned off, and possibly when that kicks in it maximises the Action Window again. I think some tool do that, although in a quick test they only open their own little window above the Action Window, which remains minimised.

I think that setting would be saved as a local Registry setting, so it would be used for any Library that was loaded. Certainly, I set it in my local library, but when I opened my Server Library it was still set the same way, turned off.

I have often thought that it would be nice to completely dismiss that Action Window when I am doing specific stuff, so I understand where you are coming from. But if it could be completely dismissed there would need to be a way to bring it back as well. Maybe a split window that uses Disclosure Triangles like the other panes would be good enough for you? But then people would forget it was there, and wouldn't find it. Actually I think all MC pane/window components should be resizable, including closing them down to just a bar with Disclosure Triangles. I would particularly like to be able to resize components in the Tag Window, such as the Dump area.

For me, in the end, the Action Window isn't a big enough issue to worry about. I just minimise it and leave it there. It doesn't use much real estate. Maybe someone from JRiver will comment.

PS: Leezer3, if you turn off the "Burning", "CD Ripping", and "DVD Ripping" Features in Options, the "Burn Disc" and "Rip Disc" items disappear. If you turn off the "Image Support" Feature, the "Camera" item disappears. That just leaves "Sync Handheld", "Build Playlist" and "Tag" items in the Action Window. Not too bad.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 02:22:53 am »

@JimH, can we have an X to close the Action Window or not? "Show Action Window" would then do what it says.

After closing it we could bring it back with a context menu or main menu option. Or it could be hidden as a bottom Drawer, like other UI elements already work.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:52 am »

PS: Leezer3, if you turn off the "Burning", "CD Ripping", and "DVD Ripping" Features in Options, the "Burn Disc" and "Rip Disc" items disappear. If you turn off the "Image Support" Feature, the "Camera" item disappears. That just leaves "Sync Handheld", "Build Playlist" and "Tag" items in the Action Window. Not too bad.

I very occasionally rip disks, and images are probably about 50% of my library.

The point wasn't so much removing the thing entirely (if it's considered to be a required design choice) but rather whether there's a better / more appropriate set of choices that could live there instead.

For example, I've added a toolbar button to trigger an auto-import run on demand. As I suspect these days most media is digital, this would perhaps seem a logical replacement for the rip disk button?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 07:46:49 am »

I very occasionally rip disks, and images are probably about 50% of my library.
Same here.
For example, I've added a toolbar button to trigger an auto-import run on demand. As I suspect these days most media is digital, this would perhaps seem a logical replacement for the rip disk button?
I never do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up