INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues casting from mobile  (Read 1082 times)

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
Issues casting from mobile
« on: September 08, 2020, 04:00:45 pm »

Hopefully I'm in the right forum - this touches on a few areas.

I'm having fits getting JRiver playlists to play to my Google devices (Chromecast mostly) from my mobile (Android) device.

I've been trying with Gizmo and jRemote2.

Using Gizmo, I can cast from the app, and I can play a playlist. The initial song of the playlist will play, and then it'll skip over something like 100 songs before it hits the next one to play - if it picks back up at all.

Using jRemotee2, I can cast and play individual songs, and allbums, but playlists just won't play at all. It's like they never get added to the queue. No idea what's up.

When I light up BubbleUPnP, I can play to the devices via the Bubble app, but that app flakes out far too frequently and often needs to be restarted. JRiver for Android doesn't (appear t) support casting at all, so that option is out here.

Would anyone happen to have any good ideas here?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues casting from mobile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:23:35 pm »

Gizmo is having issues currently with Chromecast. See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,102020.msg877668.html#msg877668
I doubt that will be fixed.

The free version of BubbleUPnP will only play a certain number of tracks, or for a certain period, and then it stops, by design. I have a licenced version now and that doesn't have the limitation. BubbleUPnP is usually pretty solid, but I have seen it lose connection when not in use actively playing something.

JRiver for Android doesn't support casting at this time. I would hope it will at some stage. It is still in development.

JRemote2 can cast to my Chromecast capable Sony TV just fine, including Playlists. I haven't used it that way a lot, except in testing, but it is playing a Playlist from a MC Server to the Sony right now. If it doesn't play multiple Tracks I shall report back... on to the third track now. I'm currently running JRemote2 version 2.1.0. I am on the Beta program for it in the Play Store so I may have a later version than you. I think you can join the Beta program if you wish. Search for how.

JRemote2 Version 2.2.0 is on the Play Store now, and will be available to users soon. It has some Chromecast improvements. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124861.msg878957.html#msg878957
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:44:42 pm »

Thanks much! Looking into the new JRemote2....

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 07:52:38 pm »

I got the new jRemote2, but unfortunately it's still no go. I can see the latest improvement is that it works with "longer" playlists.... unfortunately I have some very long ones (2000 tracks). It's playing my shorter playlists but not the long ones.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:04:13 pm »

I only tested with a 24 Track Playlist. That played to the end.

I guess Hendrik has more to do with longer Playlists.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 03:05:17 am »

Playlists with several thousands of tracks will not work on ChromeCast, thats just how it is. It has size limits of the playlist files. I already reduced the amount of data we send as much as I can - as long as you use a recent version of MC26 or MC27 (since it requires an additional MCWS call)

I would recommend to use smartlists that present a smaller window into such large playlists. ChromeCast is just a tiny device, it doesn't like being bombarded with data. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:32 am »

Roger that. I have found a good solution for my use case - its an app called HiFi Cast. It's a DLNA player and can play to Chromecast. It does a nice job with the JRiver playlist, and is pretty responsive. I assume that it's sending one track at a time. In any event, my immediate problem is sorted - thanks for all the input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up