INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloudplay Interface Changes  (Read 615 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Cloudplay Interface Changes
« on: September 08, 2020, 06:50:52 pm »

If you haven't seen it, Cloudplay is JRiver's lossless streaming feature.  It can be found in the tree on the left.
 Cloudplay on the Wiki.

Under the hood, it's working well.  It can stream uploaded playlist files from JRiver's server on Amazon S3 without problems.  It can even handle Hi Res and multi-channel files.

The chassis, however, ...  ahem ... needs work.  I'd like to simplify it, tighten it up, and add some color.

Here are a few ideas, for your consideration and discussion.

1.  Shift the emphasis from users to music.  I'm not sure exactly how to do it but I know the music is important and most people won't have the patience to trawl through hundreds of users looking for good music.

2.  Feature the most popular users but still make others available.  This could be done by ranking users by popularity, but that will make it difficult for new users to reach the charts.

3.  Add cover art, maybe artist images.

4.  Better ask for donations.  It's a little hidden now and we could use the support.

5.  Move the play button and like buttons to the left so you don't have to scroll left to right and back again so much.  Maybe everything on the right could move left.

That's my short list.  Anything you can add?

And just a reminder, our license doesn't allow playing full albums or single artists.  The playlists need to be mixed.  Think John Cusack's playlist advice in "High Fidelity".

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Cloudplay Interface Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:59:13 pm »

The "Search" feature could be improved and expanded.

Ability to search Genres, Artists, Song Titles, years, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:25:58 pm »

Any other suggestions?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:44:00 am »

Some quick suggestions:
1. Maybe you should reject uploading playlists which breaks the rules and give reason for the reject so people will learn which rule was violated.
2. Rating system for songs. Allow rating cloudplay songs and calculate average rating between listeners. That will give you data of "best songs" and "songs not yet rated" which can be useful information when doing radio mixes

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:22:11 am »

Have a page which categorizes playlists (probably the home page).

"Buttons" for a listing of playlists by these categories that can be listed alphabetically, popularity, plays, etc.

I know I have a lot of playlists but I still separate them by category (e.g. New Playlists, By Decades, By Year, Chart Playlists, Genre, Themes, Jazz, Classical, Country, Rock, Soul, Opera, Multi-Channel, Artists, etc.)

I know that can be a lot of work, but maybe you could have people list which category/categories their playlist fits when uploading.  Many playlists fit more than one category.  It would give someone access to what they are looking for.  Just a thought.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:28:26 pm »

Honestly, either steal all the good ideas from other service providers, and reject all the bad ideas, or hire a UI/UX Designer to come up with the ideas.

Maybe people should list the UIs that they like, as a source of ideas.

This isn't a sit down for five minutes and share ideas type of request. It is a lot of work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up