INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain & Volume tags  (Read 981 times)

paulrr01

• Recent member
Replay Gain & Volume tags
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:28:34 am »

Can I clarify something please, I 'think' I know the answer, just wanted to make sure.....

The wording in 'Options - Audio -  Settings - DSP & output format - Volume Levelling' says : "The industry leading R128 algorithum is used to analyze files and apply the correct volume during playback." - are the replay gain/volume tags used during playback when 'Volume Levelling' is invoked?
Any advice/info gratefully recieved.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Replay Gain & Volume tags
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:44:21 am »

Yes.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:45:51 am »

Yes, but there is a difference between Replay Gain and R128, though both do basically the same thing.

Media Center uses the R128 algorithm which comes from analyzing the volume in Media Center.

paulrr01

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:01:15 am »

Thank you, thats what I thought. Next question(s) then....I have approx 30000 files (all FLAC) in my MC library, and some have one or more of the following tags populated (the italic number is the number of tracks with the respective tag populated)
PEAK LEVEL (R128) 980
PEAK LEVEL (SAMPLE) 1253
replaygain_album_gain 5901
replaygain_album_peak 5889
REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS 332
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN 7152
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 7103
VOLUME LEVEL (R128) 980
VOLUME LEVEL (REPLAYGAIN) 1302.
I have not set any of the tag values, they are what has been set during ripping etc and no idea how accurate they are. I'm looking to get consistency (and accuracy) across the whole library, should I remove all the tags above and then analyse the library in order to get the consistency and accuracy I'd like? (again, I 'think' the answer is yes, and I have the time, I'd like it done right). Many thanks again, appreciate any and all advice.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 03:47:06 pm »

You can select the tracks you want to analyze and have Media Center do so. 

There is a checkmark that you would have to take off to redo files already done.

I don't think you'll get a different output on those you've already done because it uses the same algorithm.  But you can if you like; just takes longer.  Won't hurt anything.  Also, if files are not analyzed, they cannot use the "waveform" bar, if you want it.

I don't think it will effect the Replay Gain tag, only the R128, since MC doesn't use it.  I may be wrong on that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up