INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Set Up New (different) Hard Drive  (Read 746 times)

timequest

• Recent member
How to Set Up New (different) Hard Drive
« on: September 11, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »

Just duplicated my entire external hard drive (music files) to a new external SSD (same music files).  I can't figure out how to interface JRiver (20) with the new/different hard drive.  I'm going crazy here . . . .   It can't be that difficult!!??  Just what exactly do I need to do?  Thank you. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Set Up New (different) Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:48:21 pm »

If the external SSD is a replacement for the external hard drive, just make sure Windows assigns the same drive letter to the SSD as the hard drive used to get. Then your Library will work as before. Google to find out how to do that. Note that you should use the same USB port as you used previously to make that easier, but if you want to use a different, perhaps faster, port, you can still make Windows assign a specific drive letter.

If the SSD is in addition to the original hard drive, then you can either make the SSD take the old drive letter and give the hard drive a new drive letter, or you can use the MC "Rename, Move and Copy Files" (RM&CF) function, specifically using the "Find & Replace" function to change the drive letter used in the Library from the drive letter used by the hard drive to the drive letter used by the SSD. Search the forum for discussion on that process, using the search term "Find & Replace". You will find detailed instructions. Or just read the Wiki. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

timequest

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:37:41 am »

Thank you Roderick!  I truly appreciate your expert guidance . . . . This worked perfectly and allowed me to expedite the process without having to fumble around with any time-consuming measures.  Be safe . . . . Stay well . . . . Cheers!!

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:33:19 am »

If you need to do this again for whatever reason - there is another process you should know about. I am in the middle of this now as I irradicate iHang iTunes from my new PC set up, I changed the root folder names away from itunes. There is a Function F6 - Rename, Move & Copy files. It serves many function in moving and organising your files. On the left bottom section is "Find & Replace" where you can move your entire library root folders. The actual file move is quick - but MC has to run through every file and update the internal tags. In my case 40,000 music files. So I tested with a specific album first, then moved the entire library from M:\itunes\itunes media\* to M:\Music\*. I set it up and let it run overnight. Hope this helps.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up