INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 538 times)

sikm

• Recent member
Quick question
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:00:50 pm »

It used to be that when I double clicked a media centre video file it would automatically start playing in MC. Now MC is opened but the file doesn't play. I have to select 'Play with'. I feel sure that somehow a simple setting has been changed but can't, for the life of me find it. Anyone have any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 11:24:54 pm »

You need to fix your File Associations in Windows. They don't always get updated when MC is upgraded (MC26 to MC27 for example), although that does seem to work for some people.

Search in the Windows Start Menu for "Default Apps" then "Set defaults by app" or "Choose default apps by file type".

You can also set File Associations in MC under "Options > File Types", and that is supposed to set the Windows File Associations, but Windows 10 seems to block that now, at least some of the time, as a security measure. That is, Apps shouldn't be able to set associations to themselves because that is a security risk. Imagine if an App could set itself to run exe files, rather than Windows.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:39:52 am »

Check Options->General->Behavior->"Start playing when files added to Playing Now".

File associations seem OK, or else MC wouldn't even start.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:20:02 am »

Ah. I interpreted this:

Now MC is opened but the file doesn't play.

As MC was already open, rather than it opened when the file was double-clicked on. I guess it could mean double-clicking opened MC, so yes, File Associations would be okay. It wouldn't hurt to check.

It could also be a problem with Shell Integration, which sometimes can get messed up by other applications, MC Upgrades, or just Windows itself. "Options > General > Shell Options". As Sikm has to select "Play with" in the right-click menu, it would seem the Shell Integration isn't working. See the attached image for what that should look like Sikm. Double-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer should execute the bolded action, which is "Play in Media Center". If the setting is ticked but the Shell Integration isn't working, turn it off then back on again, probably with a MC restart in between.

Note that I don't have "Options->General->Behavior->"Start playing when files added to Playing Now" ticked, but double-clicking on a media file in Windows Explorer starts playback anyway. The Shell Integration bypasses that setting. Actually, now that I check, double-clicking on a file in MC adds the whole Album to Playing Now and starts playback anyway. That sort of calls the functionality of that setting into doubt. There have been quite a few tweaks in that area though, so maybe that is now the default action...hmmm. I don't remember.

I have the "Options->General->Behavior->Double-click" setting set to "Replace Playing Now (All)", which should not start playback. Maybe it does now. But that setting only applies to double-clicking inside MC.

Anyway Sikm, check all those setting and try changing them to get it working again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sikm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 02:37:30 am »

Thanks all for the suggestions. One of them worked  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up