INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preview window steals keyboard and mouse focus, theater mode [with screenshot]  (Read 1123 times)

Belarathon

• World Citizen

I brought this to your attention previously but I'm not sure if you understood my issue at the time.  I've got a screenshot this time. 
Here are the steps to reproduce.  From theater mode, toggle the "list style" as shown below, then choose a video to watch and commence viewing.  Now, hit the backspace button to pause the video and go to the previous screen.  The preview window in the upper right-hand corner is now highlighted, which steels focus away from the rest of the GUI, and you cannot navigate away from the preview screen.  There is no way to recover using a remote control.   Unless you actually view the video first, you will not be able to reproduce the issue.  This is not an issue in the Windows OS version. Toggling "list styles" without the preview window is a workaround, but those list styles are not nearly as useful as this particular list style. 

I'm on Debian testing, using Gnome.

Edit:  Corrected vernacular to reflect "list style"
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

Belarathon

• World Citizen
Re: Preview window steals keyboard and remote focus, theater mode [screenshot]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:43:08 am »

Nothing?   This is the default view, after all. 
Edit:  That sounds unnecessarily aggressive, and I apologize.  Just frustration that apparently no one else seems to have this issue.  My subject line was wrong though...the mouse doesn't lose focus or function - only the keyboard, and by extension, a remote control.

The mouse works fine and that is how I am able to move focus off of the preview window.  But you'll notice two items are highlighted - how is that even possible?   Can I edit the skin to remove the possibility of the video preview getting focus in the first place?  In Windows, it is not even a possibility of selecting the preview window, if memory serves correctly.  I suppose my other alternative would be to take my wireless mouse to bed with me.
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 03:36:27 pm »

Nothing?   This is the default view, after all. 
Edit:  That sounds unnecessarily aggressive, and I apologize.  Just frustration that apparently no one else seems to have this issue.  My subject line was wrong though...the mouse doesn't lose focus or function - only the keyboard, and by extension, a remote control.

The mouse works fine and that is how I am able to move focus off of the preview window.  But you'll notice two items are highlighted - how is that even possible?   Can I edit the skin to remove the possibility of the video preview getting focus in the first place?  In Windows, it is not even a possibility of selecting the preview window, if memory serves correctly.  I suppose my other alternative would be to take my wireless mouse to bed with me.
There are some outstanding issues with focus that crop up with certain WM's, it shows up in Video playback as well.
I have done some work on rewriting the linux focus code but haven't gotten real far yet.

Belarathon

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 05:01:26 pm »

There are some outstanding issues with focus that crop up with certain WM's, it shows up in Video playback as well.
I have done some work on rewriting the linux focus code but haven't gotten real far yet.

Thanks Bob.  Appreciate your efforts.  :)

PS:  If it helps, this is an issue on every desktop environment I've tried:  KDE, Gnome on Debian, XFCE, LXQT, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up