INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver won't install correctly digital signature error  (Read 827 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
WDM Driver won't install correctly digital signature error
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:14 am »

The WDM driver won't install correctly.

Windows 7x64, no SecureBoot. MC 26.0.106 x32

Enabling the WDM feature in MC installs the driver (which shows as JRiver Media Center 25 not 26), but the driver won't activate, and shows in device manager with an error condition:
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"
I've looked at the old posts on this, and this driver signing problem mostly seems to be related to Windows10 using SecureBoot, which is not the case here.

Is there any workaround for this? Any kind of manual install/uninstall for the WDM driver?

(I'm not interested in monkeying around with uninstalling/reinstalling MC itself, because other than this everything works perfectly and I don't want to risk new problems; that shouldn't be necessary.)
Permanently disabling driver signature enforcement shouldn't be necessary, since the old posts all claim the WDM driver is signed.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Will

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: WDM Driver won't install correctly digital signature error
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 03:21:26 am »

Windows 7 requires additional updates to be installed to accept modern driver signatures. It should be available through Windows Update. Microsoft entirely discontinued the old SHA1 signatures at this point, and new drivers cannot be signed with it any longer.
Note that the WDM driver has been signed with SHA2 for a while now - hence the required update.

See:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4474419/sha-2-code-signing-support-update

Do note that Windows 7 is now out of support from Microsoft, so experiences may vary.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

wer

Re: WDM Driver won't install correctly digital signature error
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:46:13 pm »

Ah, different signing format - I didn't think of that.

Thanks Hendrik, that did the trick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up