INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benchmarking lib import on MC26 vs MC27 - MC27 lib import is SLOW  (Read 935 times)

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck

I ran identical library imports from my NAS - Synology DS716+ - (2700 and 3600 files) - CPU usage an on otherwise empty machine (MacBook Pro, 15', Mid 2015, 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS 10.15.6) is for MC26 between 40 and 70 - (typ. 50) % CPU and for MC27 between 70 and 160 (typ. 90) %.
Besides, after about 4 hrs MC27 runtime,  I get an occasional warning of low memory (Leaks??) - did not happen before. Performance of the systems degrades until reboot. Strange....
No obvious connection to MC27, though. I did not have time to investigate further.

I'll keep using MC26 and wait for a few releases....

Sorry guys.

Btw: even MC26 uses quite some resources.....(let's not talk about scrolling, this is definitely NOT impressive)

Don't get it wrong, I'm still a happy user of MC26, just don't scroll much (use status line shortcuts to get around).

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Benchmarking lib import on MC26 vs MC27 - MC27 is SLOW (++?)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:28:47 pm »

MC27 benches about 2% faster than MC26 on my system.
The CPU usage you see might be because some things that were not multithreaded by default on import now and and the number of threads based on the detection of cores is better now.

What are you doing while you are seeing the memory reduction? I can run for the entire day without seeing that.

As regards scroll speed, it's a byproduct of the screen orientation MC uses in OSX not being native. We are working on that.

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Benchmarking lib import on MC26 vs MC27 - MC27 is SLOW (++?)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 04:38:57 pm »

Thanks Bob, good to hear about scrolling.

As to the benchmark I compared only the library import. My numbers are solid. Now that you mention multithreading based on better multi-core detection in higher versions than 27.012, the problem will go away. I did talk ONLY about library import of many files into an already big library.

As to memory leaks, we both know that they are very hard to reproduce and even harder to catch (if you suspect that there is a problem). And almost impossible to test for.

To answer your question:

I run a clean 10.15.6 system - fresh install on an erased HD. (With Big Sur 11 Beta 2,3,4 some standard software (not MC27!) crashed predictably - so I went back to 10.15.6)

So there are no ghosts from the past.

I was not doing anything specific besides importing files into MC27 from my NAS when the system told me that memory were about to run out.  Oops, never had that experienced on a Mac (Windows is a different beast here ;-))  Sounded like a memory leak. The system was S L O W, I rebooted and decided to run the benchmarks.

I used identical libraries with about 60.000 entries and gave the MCs two chunks of files with 2700 and 3600 records. MC26 and MC 27 had each the entirely empty machine to do their thing. (I had a Finder window open and also looked at the activities) At that time the NAS did not run any backups.

As to the memory leak: it could be the size of the library (and as I set it up on MC24, may it brought something with it that caused a disturbance), a race condition, ...

With multithreading things will not get easier, but hopefully the problem goes away.

So I'm looking forward to the new versions. Thanks again for the reassurance.

If you need more info just let me know - my email should be on record.

Cheers,
Volker

Pages: [1]   Go Up