INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Box Sets  (Read 1290 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Box Sets
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:13:15 am »

Hi

I have set up Custom Tags to manage Box Sets (BoxSet , DiscName, Disc Volume)

With this I can create a View where BoxSet <> Empty and I can see each individual disc along with a suitable Title (DiscName).

In the case of a "collection of Album" type of box I can apply individual artwork per disc

In the highest level of the view I see the BoxSet name BUT I see a "FanFold" of the Album covers comprising the Box . Often the BOX has artwork of the whole box

Is there any way of applying a second image to each album and showing an overall Box Image on the top level view

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Box Sets
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 06:28:23 am »

There are many alternate album art pictures in the ID3 definition, but none of them are for Box Set art.  I suppose $00 (Other) could be used, but it would be non-standard. But MC could define its own tag (such as $00), knowing that it would not work in other players.  The trick is to be able to populate the tag and then have MC display it at the appropriate time.

https://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Attached_picture

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:21 pm »

Is there any way of applying a second image to each album and showing an overall Box Image on the top level view

I don't think there is a way to do this currently. You can't define your own Image-type fields. That would be nice, but I'm not sure how MC would be set up to use or show them anywhere.

For now, I just don't store this information, or I apply the Box-image to the entire album (losing, then, the individual item covers).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:49 pm »

I played with this for a while by adding a new disc at the beginning of the set, with a single track named Box Set Art with the playability set to off (0), with the box set image in that track. The view would then show the art for the first disk.  Never got a fan display in my view. It is a little kludgy, but I think I got it to work at one point. I never pursued it, so do not know if there are complications in doing this, but you might want to play with it. It does mean than all your disc numbers are off by 1.  You might be able to set the disc # of the fake disk to 0 or blank, which would solve the disc numbering problem.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:37:39 pm »

i use [series] for the top level, which accepts artwork

wer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 09:25:51 pm »

i use [series] for the top level, which accepts artwork

This is a clever solution. But I think the [Series] artwork will not display if you are grouping by an expression. Matt has hard-coded it to recognize [Series] to display the artwork and nothing else.  For example, I think the Series artwork won't display if you group by FirstNotEmpty([Series],[Album]) even though this sometimes evaluates to [Series].

I haven't tried it out for Audio in Standard View though. Am I mistaken?

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 12:46:08 am »

Sounds like a worthy feature?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 01:14:56 am »

Could saving the artwork for each disc in its tracks tags and the artwork for the box-set as the "folder.jpg" file and sweet-talking Jim & Matt into adding an option that uses both artwork sources work?
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 01:52:19 am »

Sounds like a worthy feature?

I requested something in the Too Easy thread that could help:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126265.msg880105.html#msg880105
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 07:23:49 am »

Here you go - using a fake track containing the alternate album art with the disc # set to blank (0). The album art for disc # 0 shows in a standard Album display and the album art for each disc shows in the file display. The fake track sorts to the bottom of the file display.  You could add  the fake track as disc 1 and add 1 to each of the other disc # if you want it to show it at the top.  Not sure how this works in other displays, but it works here.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 07:23:48 pm »

This is a clever solution. But I think the [Series] artwork will not display if you are grouping by an expression. Matt has hard-coded it to recognize [Series] to display the artwork and nothing else.  For example, I think the Series artwork won't display if you group by FirstNotEmpty([Series],[Album]) even though this sometimes evaluates to [Series].

I haven't tried it out for Audio in Standard View though. Am I mistaken?

interesting, i hadn't tried with an expression.  you are correct, it does not work when used in an expression for grouping, it just reverts to the fan
Pages: [1]   Go Up