INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA - DLNA Server Switching?  (Read 1407 times)

TP1964

• World Citizen
DLNA - DLNA Server Switching?
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:29:19 pm »

I found other similar topics, but not something with this specific request:

Is there any way to have a Zone (in this case a dynamic zone) associate itself with a particular DLNA Server configuration based on file type - automatically?

As an example - in my case - the receiver I'm using (Denon AVR-X3200W) plays nice with 1X DSD files - not so much with 2X and above. However, with MC's ability to convert them to 24-bit / 192K PCM - they will play.

What I would like to be able to do (and maybe there is a technical reason this isn't possible) is for MC to look at the file that has been requested - perhaps using the file specification window used for creating file lists - and using criteria - select the DLNA server configuration based on that criteria.

I would think this would be beneficial for anyone using receivers that have limited capabilities to handle hi res files.

Logic would be something like "If file is file type DSF AND bitrate is 5644 then use "DLNA SERVER CONFIG FOR DIRECT DSD" else use "DLNA SERVER CONFIG FOR TRANSCODING"

If there is a way to do this already and I've missed it, please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: DLNA - DLNA Server Switching?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:07:22 pm »

Not sure if it will do exactly what you want but have you explored Zoneswitch? Player -> Zone -> Zoneswitch

I know it addresses requirements similar to what you have outlined, but not sure if it can go to that level but worth a look.

Good thread on it here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

Cheers

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 11:03:32 am »

Thanks - Reading through, this IS essentially what I'd like to do - BUT, not switching zones (a DLNA renderer only has one zone and you can't add a second - I've tried) but switching the DLNA server configuration. There is a bit in the zones wiki called "loopback" - but I can't find any info on how to use it - I thought it might do what I want, but so far, no luck.

I'll keep playing with it. If I had the ability to add a second dynamic zone - pointing to my DLNA server (I assume this would be IP address) - then I could apply 2 different server configurations and switch the zones. But, unless someone can enlighten me, I don't see a way to add a second version of a DLNA server as a zone.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:04:42 pm »

OK, can see what you are saying now, and yes as you say not sure if it possible

Was looking at something similar a couple of years back and the 1-1 relationship between a server and a renderer was an issue for me as well.

Been a while though, I'll take another look. Lockdown gives us a bit of time...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:43 pm »

I've been following along and I can't think of a way to do it either.

Linking Zones requires a second Zone, as does a Zone Group. You can't play to a Zone Group anyway.

I thought about copying the existing DLNA Renderer Dynamic Zone, but that only allows you to copy a non-Dynamic Zones. (Copy via the right-click on Playing Now, Zone Add feature.) Besides, if two MC DLNA Servers are talking to the same device, I think that would end in tears.

Playing a mixed Playlist of 1xDSD and other formats, requiring the DLNA Renderer to switch DLNA Server for specific Tracks, would probably also end in tears. They don't always switch well, or quickly.

What would actually be required is functionality like Zoneswitch, which changed DLNA Server association with Zones. But again, that may not be a robust solution, depending on how well the DLNA Renderer handled that.

If the Denon AVR-X3200W had multiple inputs that could identify themselves as independent DLNA Renderers, then I think you could use those for this purpose. That would be something to look into for the Denon. It does have Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections. As they would have different IP Addresses, maybe the DLNA Renderer on the Denon would be visible via both, and present as two renderers in MC. Again, I would anticipate control issues.

Otherwise, I think the solution is to convert all DSD and other formats to PCM. The quality is going to be good to excellent, and it will be a much simpler installation to manage.

Of course, if the Denon could play all DSD formats, that would be easy to set up in one DLNA Server.

Actually, as the MC DLNA Servers decide which files to convert and which to send to a DLNA Renderer untouched based on the file extension (I'm pretty sure it is file extension, and not the [File Type] tag), then you could use one extension (file format) for 1xDSD files (say DSF), and another for other DSD files (say DFF). DSF is the preferred format by most users, and I think DFF allows less internal tagging. Not sure. But you may even be able to get away with using DSF files and just changing the file extension. You may need to change Mime Types for the DLNA Server, so it tell the DLNA Renderer how to play the files correctly. You may even be able to invent your own file extension for files you want MC to convert, because the DLNA Renderer would just receive PCM for those files, and they should play fine without the Renderer needing to know how to decode the file it receives.

Maybe try leaving 1xDSD files with an extension of DSF, and for higher formats, 2xDSD and above, change the extension to DSFx, then set the DLNA Server to convert DSFx files, but not DSF files. See if that works. You may still need to add a Mime Type to the MC definitions for DSFx, but possibly not, and that isn't hard.

Give it a try.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:22:06 am »

If the Denon AVR-X3200W had multiple inputs that could identify themselves as independent DLNA Renderers, then I think you could use those for this purpose. That would be something to look into for the Denon. It does have Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections. As they would have different IP Addresses, maybe the DLNA Renderer on the Denon would be visible via both, and present as two renderers in MC. Again, I would anticipate control issues.

I thought this as well as a potential solution, but yes may result in fun and games on the Denon. Another solution could be using a Chromecast/Bubble combination on one of the HDMI inputs to give you a separate zone. I use this on my Cambridge AVR and it works well and ZoneSwitch to the CC for video. Whether transcoded DSD will play is another matter.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 02:06:42 pm »

Hey Scobie - what kind of audio files can the chromecast handle?

Roderick - thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. Unfortunately, my library is big enough that seeking out and renaming the files based on their bit rate would be quite cumbersome in my case. But that’s a great thought!

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 04:50:24 pm »

Hi TP.

Having made the suggestion I have to tell you that I use my CC for video streaming as the Cambridge is audio only and it does a much better job for audio files.

The ChromeCast will have to be paired with BubbleUpNP to give you DLNA functionality and I believe that tops out at 16bit, so I'm not sure it will give you what you need. In addition it does not support gapless playback.

But out of interest I will run AndrewGF's tool against it though and see what it says.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:41 pm »

Roderick - thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. Unfortunately, my library is big enough that seeking out and renaming the files based on their bit rate would be quite cumbersome in my case. But that’s a great thought!

Finding the files within MC and either running a process on them internally, or creating an external list for use elsewhere, would be easy. A custom View or Smartlist will do it. That issue shouldn't stop you.

However, editing just the file extension in MC is problematic. Just changing the file type doesn't work, as it doesn't update the file extension. The RM&CF function just adds the original file extension back on, so no good using it in a standard way.

But there are external tools that could do it, I believe, though I can't recommend any off the top of my head. Someone around here may be able to help, or Google.

Anyway, playing everything in PCM is the obvious solution. If you really want to play 1xDSD in Native format, then test the idea with a few files, or copies of files, and if it works, ask or research how to rename the files in bulk.

EDIT: Actually I just worked out how to change the [Filename] field in MC using the RM&CF Find & Replace rather than the normal filename expression. Unfortunately that doesn't change the external filename and MC then can't find the file, but it is part of the process.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:03:20 pm »

I greatly appreciate all of your suggestions. Roderick - I think you’re likely correct - if I really want to listen to 1-bit DSD - I can always switch the server applied. It really isn’t THAT big of a deal.

I would be curious if any of the developers could chime in and say if this is functionally not possible to build into the software.

For now I’ll transcode everything and on the occasions that I decide to fire up. 1X DSD - I’ll just switch the server.

Again - thanks to both of you for your time - it’s very much appreciated!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 09:01:02 pm »

For direct audio connections, there is an option that limits DSD bitstreaming to only certain sample rates. Lower sample rates bitstream, but higher ones convert to PCM. Unfortunately, that option is only for direct connections not DLNA servers. Such an option could be added to DSP Studio, in which case it would be available both for direct audio connections and for DLNA.

Alternately, the Output Format table in DSP Studio could be expanded to include 1X DSD, 2X DSD, 4X DSD and 8X DSD, just like there are options for all the common PCM sample rates.  and all the DSD sample rates could have the specific PCM sample rate to convert to or No Change.  The current >768 KHz was OK when only 1X DSD was available, but it is pretty limited given the availability of higher sample rate DSD.  Having a specific PCM rate to convert DSD to would also reduce the confusion people have now from the fact that the value in the >768 KHz Output sample rate is not honored. The conversions is always just a factor of 8.

So, either adding the current option that limits DSD sample rates in bitstreaming to the DLNA options or updating the DSP Studio Output Format DSD  table would allow different DSD sample rates to be easily handled with DLNA servers.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 09:09:45 am »

Sounds do-able then? I certainly don't proclaim to know the coding behind all of that - but it would certainly be a welcome addition if JimH would consider it.

Thanks for the explanation!
Pages: [1]   Go Up