INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: modified: Google home / Amazon Echo as an Endpoint  (Read 1232 times)

High-End

• World Citizen
modified: Google home / Amazon Echo as an Endpoint
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:55:05 pm »

I do know Synology "audio station" skill, "my media for amazon" and "house Band" exist. But I am not sure if that's what I am searching for...

I do have an HTPC connected to an DAC on one side an to a local connected NAS on the other side. I also do have a android based remote (EOS/ Gizmo, what ever) for the HTPC.
What I would like to do is using the remote and tell MC to play music to the Google Home / Amazon Echo as an endpoint (instead the DAC).
Is this possible? If yes how?
Grazie ;-)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Amazon Echo as an Endpoint
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:06:25 pm »

I believe Amazon Echo supports chromecast and airplay?

so on your Android tablet/phone ... while playing something, tap on "cast" icon and your Echo should be there (provided it is on the same network)

similarly can do this with iOS

PS. I have done AirPlay from iOS from JRemote before ... theoretically this should work with chromecast on Androids
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

High-End

• World Citizen
Re: Amazon Echo as an Endpoint
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »

I found this:
 Can chromecast audio work with Alexa?

You can use an Amazon Alexa device as an audio-based Chromecast, but there's a catch – it only works with Amazon Music. That means you can't stream any of your favorite music services directly to your Echo device and you're locked into Amazon's offerings. Alexa Cast works with any Alexa-enabled device.

So what's right?

High-End

• World Citizen
Re: modified: Google home / Amazon Echo as an Endpoint
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:26:33 am »

It seems that the "Google Home LSP" are better designed for WLAN.
quote: " Play it your way.
Stream over Wi-Fi from compatible apps on your phone or laptop, play songs right over Bluetooth® or plug in your record player using a stereo cable."
Is there any practical experience in connection with MC?
Since both (Home and Echo) only understand MP3, MC must offer real-time conversion of music files. For me this means that I have to specify these LSP as a new endpoint in MC. Does it?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 04:45:50 am »

it does seems that Alexia cast is a different technology from chromecast :/

unfortunately i have experience with neither

i am pretty sure you can cast from Android to chromecast devices easily ... but cannot confirm it as i have no chromecast devices

not so confident can cast to Alexia ...

is there particular reason you want Alexia Echo? ... want voice recoginition?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

High-End

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 01:47:38 pm »

I would like to have a WLAN connected speaker for a room where I do not have any Hifi System.
I saw a friend using his Amazon Echo. General a nice toy. But hearing music from my NAS is more important to me.
I don't need voice recognition for my music. If my MC remote does the job I am more than happy.
I know I can use Bluesound /NAD. But they are to expensive for what you get.
These are the "environment variables" in which I want to move ;-)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:55:35 pm »

If voice control not important ... then

1) get chromecast enabled speaker if you use Android

2) get AirPlay enabled speaker if you use iOS

chromecast and AirPlay are build into Androud and iOS respectively ... so should be abke to cast music from JRemote (available for both Android abd iOS) app

I can confirm AirPlay works ... chromecast theoretically should work (not Alexia cast)

If want to use AirPlay speakers with Android ... or chromecast with iOS ... ppl use tool like Bubble UPNP

Some speakerd support both AirPlay and chromecast ... price can vary from cheap stuff to expensive like B&W zeppilin.

Can buy streamers/DAC that support AirPlay or Chromecast ... then hook it up ti amp/speaker of your choice

Can get Sonos receiver with AirPlay ... then it can rout received music from AirPlay to rest of Sonos speakers ... not cheap thus option
Pages: [1]   Go Up