INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Realtek driver and Denon driver conflicts  (Read 1205 times)

pfm555

• World Citizen
Realtek driver and Denon driver conflicts
« on: September 28, 2020, 09:48:26 am »

i have had a two channel set up for a while due to the fact that my 5 channel amp shorted out a while back. i just added a denon avr-x4400h. i have the htpc and dish network connected to the 4400h. in order to listed to the radio stations i.e. pandora, internet radio etc denon requires you to have an account with heos through the app and then sign in on the 4400h with the account. denon installs a DENON-AVRHD-4 (Intel(R) Display Audio) driver. From the info in the properties of the Denon driver it is 2 channels. Since it has been installed the Realtek driver does produce any sound. it does not produce in sound in the test from the sound app or inside JRiver when i play a movie. I have uninstalled the Realtek driver and reinstalled. i have not uninstall the Denon driver. I disabled the Denon driver but this did not have any effect on the Realtek producing sound.   The only sound is when the denon is selected. if i select the Denon (wasapi), the audio path shows that it down converts from input 6 channel to output 2 channel. When i select the denon (direct sound), it sends/passes the 6 channel to the output. The Denon does not receive/process the high def surround. I know that unless you bitstream that it does no light the surround formats on the receiver but it is definitely not processing/receiving it. The Denon does process dolby digital when the TV input (dish receiver) is selected. I am not sure if the Denon driver is overriding the Realtek driver.  Any suggestions or any settings in JRiver to get sound from the Realtek driver.

Also when i select bitstream a pop up say it can be processed.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Realtek driver and Denon driver conflicts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:09:44 am »

Have you configured the Denon in Windows Sound settings?

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:21:51 am »

i have tested the sound from the denon in the  windows sounds and it does produce sounds  i have selected properties on both the denon and the realtek and went through all the tabs but no i have not configured the denon.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:52:05 am »

Is the denon connected via HDMI?

If so, the Intel drivers are being used for video and audio. They just say Denon, because the drivers are reading that information and providing you with useful information about your sound device. The Realtek drivers are not needed in this process at all. My advice is to forget about them.

When you select the Denon device in the Sound control panel and hit configure, which speaker layout options do you get? If it is only Stereo, then you have an EDID issue, and we can talk about that later. If stereo is selected, but other options such as 5.1 and 7.1 are available, select the one that corresponds to your speaker layout. If you do this, can you now select the Denon (WASAPI) audio device in MC? Does it now work to send high definition audio, either by processing to PCM or by bitstreaming?

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 11:22:11 am »

stereo is the only choice in the configuration of the denon display driver

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »

yes it is connected by hdmi

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 06:00:51 pm »

stereo is the only choice in the configuration of the denon display driver

Disclaimer - assuming I understood the issues correctly...

It's not the Denon display driver, it is Intel. The problem seems to be that the display you're connected to has stereo speakers and that display's information is passing through the Denon and reaching your computer, instead of the Denon's sound capabilities. These are called EDID issues, and can be tricky to fix. The simplest and most expensive way is to buy an EDID device (look them up) that can pass audio up to 7.1 and video at the resolution of your display. Gefen, HDMI Detective or HDFury make such devices or are the names of the devices. MonoPrice might make a budget one.
If you are more techsavvy you could read up on EDID issues and use a utility to capture the EDID info from your Denon and screen and present the correct info to your PC.

wer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 06:40:26 pm »

Fitbrit's advice may be what you need to resort to.  I have seen many reports of EDID and HDMI handshaking issues with Denon, including the X4400H. In some cases the solution was Denon replacing the HDMI board.

Your Denon has an HDMI diagnostics menu that you should avail yourself of, it may help. You can find information about it in your manual or through a google search.

Also note that if your Denon's HDMI AUDIO OUT setting is set to TV instead of AVR (AVR sends to the attached speakers) then the Denon will only send 2 channel audio, and will probably report the same back to the HDMI source.  And if HDMI Control is on between the TV and the Denon, it can override to force the TV (2-channel) setting. So check that setting.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 06:46:37 pm »

A hail Mary approach might also be to uninstall the Intel driver (the one you think is Denon) and then reinstall it. You can do it by disabling the device and then scanning for hardware changes in Device Manager. I have not tried this, but others have done this kind of thing. Proceed with caution, but in general it should be fine to do this.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 05:56:14 am »

first off thanks for the responses. i turned off the anynet-cec on my samsung tv. i turned off hdmi control on the denon receiver. once i did this after restarting computer all the surround options appeared in the configuration of the denon/intel display driver. i thought it was fixed but after a short time playing a movie and then switching to tv and back when i checked the configuration just to see if it was still showing all surrounds options it had reverted back to stereo only.
i went back and  i turned cec on and then off and after restarting the surround options appeared and then after a short time it reverted back to stereo again. i uninstalled the intel and windows reinstalled it . i do have hdmi audio out set to avr. once reinstalled the same thing occurred  the driver had all surround options then reverted back again to stereo. any suggestions on what is causing the driver to revert to stereo

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:14:12 am »

i may have it fixed now. the denon receiver has two main hdmi inputs one that handles arc and one that does not. i changed to the one that does not have arc and the drive has not reverted back to stereo since. it may be too soon but as of now it is working. thanks again for everyone's help

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 11:48:56 am »

spoke to soon. driver reverted to stereo. short of buying an edid device any other suggestions

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 11:51:30 am »

This really seems like an HDMI handshake issue. When you say it reverted, did you turn any device off and on again in the meantime? Or did it just have surround one minute and not the next?
Sometimes you can circumvent these things by turning on your components in a fixed, magical order, and always do it that way. An EDID device might be easier. There are some cheapish ones on Amazon too if I recall correctly.

wer

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 12:10:41 pm »

It does seem to be an HDMI handshaking /EDID issue.  Unfortunately, as I said, Denons are known to be troublesome in this regard.  There are some acknowledged issues, for which Denon has swapped out the HDMI module. In some cases, frustrated users have switched brands.

I do think you should try a better HDMI cable.  I have seen that resolve issues.  Make sure it's certified high speed with earc support. 

Beyond that I suggest you call Denon. They may be able to shed additional light on it, or might offer to replace your HDMI module. They will want you to try a better cable before doing so.

If you don't get satisfaction there, I would get a device.  The DR HDMI device is very reliable and effective.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 12:29:37 pm »

start up is the same i have harmony remote that turns on and off the same each time. i will try a new hdmi cable. thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 12:31:39 pm »

There are different versions of HDMI.  Look for one that supports HDCP.  Read about HDMI on Wikipedia before you purchase.

rec head

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 07:09:29 am »

You may want to try powering off the Denon and unplugging it for 10 minutes. If that doesn't change anything possibly doing a factory reset. Have you checked the 4400's thread on AVS forum?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 08:16:53 am »

You may want to try powering off the Denon and unplugging it for 10 minutes. If that doesn't change anything possibly doing a factory reset. Have you checked the 4400's thread on AVS forum?
This thread?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-2017-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-8.2794073/

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 10:51:08 am »

i have now changed the HDMI cables. i have a ultra hd with HDMI 2.1 and hdcp 2.2 (backward compatible) between samsung un65ks9000f and denon avr-x4400h. The dish hopper 3 tv receiver and the HTPC are connected to the Denon. Nothing changed meaning the Intel driver showed only stereo in the configuration. i uninstalled the driver and rebooted the computer a  couple of times and all surround formats appeared. I configured the driver to 5.1. i then switched to the dish tv (cbl/sat) input to see that it was still receiving the dolby digital signal which it was. When i switched back to the HTPC (media player) input the driver had reverted back to showing only stereo in the configuration. i then unplugged everything i.e. power cords and hdmi cables for 10 minutes. After the restart the intel driver appeared with all the surround formats showing. After the switch from tv input and then back to HTPC input it reverted back to stereo. It is obvious that something is happening with the switch to tv and back to HTPC. In reading the threads that Jim sent  they did suggest connecting the dish tv hdmi directly to the samsung using an optical cable for the sound. This is not ideally what i would like but maybe the solution. i have not tried this in case someone may have another suggestion.

i  also have one other issue that has popped up and don't know if it has anything to do with driver reverting back and forth. When i select an episode (from theater view) in a tv series to watch, the screen goes black and after a few seconds an error pops up that says (this is not verbatim)  playback is not compatible the selected sound input. When  I look at the same episode in (standard view,) normally the episodes have a picture of a scene from the episode. the picture is being replaced with a blue and white icon with a music clef on it. never seen this happen before.  the issue is not consistent meaning a different tv episode from a different series will play. i also had the same error when i tried to play a couple of movies one would play the other would not. After rebooting a couple of times the problem is fixed for a while. then like the driver reverting to stereo the error will appear again. This issue only started since i have had the issues with the Intel driver.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

wer

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 11:58:49 am »

Beyond that I suggest you call Denon. They may be able to shed additional light on it, or might offer to replace your HDMI module.

pfm555

• World Citizen
Re: Realtek driver and Denon driver conflicts (solved)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »

I contacted Denon and when i explained how my devices were connected i.e. HTPC connected to the Media Player input they told me that input was for devices like  a roku stick, apple tv and chromecast. I changed the HTPC to the aux input and it appears to have solved the issue. i have tested it by switching back and forth from the tv input back to the aux input. The driver has not reverted one time since the change. Movies and tv series play instantly now with no errors.

Thanks again for the help.

wer

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:49 pm »

Well, I'm glad that helped and that you finally got to the bottom of it.

Although I have to say, it's no wonder that there are so many reports of HDMI issues with Denon if they've done something so silly as to individualize their HDMI ports so that certain ports will only work with certain types of devices.  That's not very consumer friendly. 

Glad you're all sorted out now.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 03:05:46 pm »

i agree with you regarding the ports. Denon provides only basic info regarding the ports in the manual . i have read a number of different reviews of both the 4400h and 4500h and don't recall anything regarding issues with the ports. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up