INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Problem  (Read 1095 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Keyboard Problem
« on: September 28, 2020, 10:03:14 pm »

Win 10 x64, 20H2.
MC 27.0.16

When I boot up this machine, things run perfectly normal... Until I first start MC. At that point, things get strange:
- MC minimizes into the taskbar
- Pressing any remote button that sends a signal to the computer causes MC to flash onto the screen, but not respond to the actual input
- Pressing any key on the keyboard (direction arrows, or any letter of the alphabet) causes MC to flash on and off the screen back and forth to the taskbar
- At some point, the PC goes to the lock screen, then locks me out due to incorrect PIN (no keys have been pressed)

Imagining that this means the keyboard is fouled up, I power off the keyboard, and stow the remote out of sight. I power off the PC, and start again. Everything runs fine, and accepts keyboard input normally... until I first start MC. At that point, the strangeness resumes.

Needless to say, the program is unusable at this point, and no logging is possible, since no commands can be given to MC. Any non-destructive ideas?

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Unsure how to describe this bizarre issue
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:27:11 pm »

If everything had worked before, I would do a Windows restore next.

wer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:32:10 pm »

My advice:

1. Get yourself a free copy of Macrium Reflect or equivalent.  Make a full image backup of your PC so that you can revert to it later like nothing happened, if necessary.

2. Verify you have a recent MC library backup. Check the folder.

3. Uninstall MC and reinstall.  Run it to look for weirdness.  If weirdness, revert to your Macrium backup, and start from scratch knowing it's not a corrupted MC installation.

4. If no weirdness, restore the most recent MC library backup, and check for weirdness again.  If no weirdness, you've fixed it: corrupted install. If weirdness after the library restore but not before, it's a corrupted config: keep restoring progressively older library backups until you find one that's ok.

There are other approaches possible, but if you are convinced MC is the issue then this is a reasonable approach.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:58:03 am »

My advice:

1. Get yourself a free copy of Macrium Reflect or equivalent.  Make a full image backup of your PC so that you can revert to it later like nothing happened, if necessary.

2. Verify you have a recent MC library backup. Check the folder.

3. Uninstall MC and reinstall.  Run it to look for weirdness.  If weirdness, revert to your Macrium backup, and start from scratch knowing it's not a corrupted MC installation.

4. If no weirdness, restore the most recent MC library backup, and check for weirdness again.  If no weirdness, you've fixed it: corrupted install. If weirdness after the library restore but not before, it's a corrupted config: keep restoring progressively older library backups until you find one that's ok.

There are other approaches possible, but if you are convinced MC is the issue then this is a reasonable approach.

Only do the above with only the Mouse and Keyboard connected to your PC to prevent any other device(s)/cables that may be misbehaving from affecting what you are trying to do!!

In addition if it's a Logitech KB or Mouse remove the Logitech Drivers and force the Mouse & or KB to use the Microsoft Drivers.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Keyboard Problem
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 01:37:11 am »

Are you using the IR Remote to start MC?

Stuck button on the remote.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:18:51 am »

Turn the keyboard upside down and whack it to get the crumbs out.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:40 am »

Are you using the IR Remote to start MC?

Stuck button on the remote.

I had first used the remote to start MC. And so I assumed stuck button. But then in my troubleshooting, I hid the remote so its signals could not reach nor be seen by the computer (and pulled battery out of remote), shut the computer down, powered the computer on, experimented to see that all was normal with other programs, then started MC with the mouse... weirdness resumed...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:38 am »

Turn the keyboard upside down and whack it to get the crumbs out.

Even with the keyboard powered off, using just a mouse, the weirdness happens upon starting MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 09:03:07 am »

Disable or remove any plug-ins or other programs running, to see if you can find a conflict.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 09:45:37 am »

Even with the keyboard powered off, using just a mouse, the weirdness happens upon starting MC.

OK so it's happening when the keyboard is not turned on and since you removed the batteries from the remote it is obvious that the remote isn't causing the problem.
Does the weirdness still happen when the IR Receiver is not connected to the PC?
In addition have you checked the Instructions/Commands being sent to MC to make sure they haven't been corrupted in some way?
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 02:10:27 pm »

OK so it's happening when the keyboard is not turned on and since you removed the batteries from the remote it is obvious that the remote isn't causing the problem.
Does the weirdness still happen when the IR Receiver is not connected to the PC?
In addition have you checked the Instructions/Commands being sent to MC to make sure they haven't been corrupted in some way?

The IR Receiver is built in to the case, internally attached to the mobo; I have not disconnected it yet. However, I did just "tell it" to use a Media Center profile for commands, which were part of the IMON manager software for many years. I have done that for the past several versions of MC, but your reply reminds me that the weirdness started happening after I did that this time, so I have another avenue for troubleshooting. Thank you.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 02:11:50 pm »

The weirdness continues, after re-installations, un-installations and re-installations, re-setups... removing the IMON profile for MC...

I now suspect it is neither MC nor the keyboard, but a combination of Win10 latest build and Harmony Remote multi-key inputs via IR. Since MC is the program I primarily use on the computer with Harmony Remote, the weirdness manifests while trying to run MC. But I think it's Win10 + Harmony multi-key (e.g., WIN + 1 to run the first program on the taskbar...which is of course MC).

So, I've just resolved to delete multi-key commands from my Harmony Remote, and use the mouse to start MC. Then, I can use the Harmony Remote in MC Theater Mode without issues.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up