INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from V26 to V27 - How do I know which is the V27 Stable Release?  (Read 946 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

I'm sure there is an obvious answer, but I'm not finding it.
I like to stick to the Stable channel releases.
How do I know which is the Stable V27?
(upgrade already paid for)
Thanks!

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving from V26 to V27 - How do I know which is the V27 Stable Release?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:52 am »

The latest "Stable" release is always on the "download page" (at present it's 27.0.15) whilst the Newest Version will always be listed here on the MC27 forum.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:03 pm »

I do not think there is an easy way to show the version number of the stable version from within MC. 

If you do not have the Stable version installed, I believe the only way to get the version number of the most stable version is to check for updates with update channel set to Stable  and if there is a new update, install it.

If Check for Updates says you are up to date, it will report the version number. Maybe it should also do so if it finds that an update is needed.

Or, the Stable and Latest options could show the appropriate version - e. g. Stable (Recommended) - 27.0.15

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 04:45:12 pm »

I do not think there is an easy way to show the version number of the stable version. 

If you do not have the Stable version installed, I believe the only way to get the version number of the most stable version is to check for updates with update channel set to Stable  and if there is a new update, install it.

If Check for Updates says you are up to date, it will report the version number. Maybe it should also do so if it finds that an update is needed.

Or, the Stable and Latest options could show the appropriate version - e. g. Stable (Recommended) - 27.0.15

The "updates" page JimH supplied the link for quite clearly states:-

"Update Channels
MC can automatically check for the minor updates and download them. Under MC's Help menu, you can set the update level you prefer.

Stable

This is the build that will be found on the Download Page. It is the recommended build for most users."

and when you go to the Download Page the Version Number of the Newest Stable Releases of MC27 for Windows and MC27 for MAC are on that page.

Or you could go to directly to the Download Page by scrolling up to the banner at the top of the forum and click on the word download!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:43:22 pm »

The "updates" page JimH supplied the link for quite clearly states:-

"Update Channels
MC can automatically check for the minor updates and download them. Under MC's Help menu, you can set the update level you prefer.

Stable

This is the build that will be found on the Download Page. It is the recommended build for most users."

and when you go to the Download Page the Version Number of the Newest Stable Releases of MC27 for Windows and MC27 for MAC are on that page.
Or you could go to directly to the Download Page by scrolling up to the banner at the top of the forum and click on the word download!

I am addressing how to find the actual version number of the current stable release.

As far as I know, there is no place within MC that tells you what the current stable version number is, which is what I was addressing.  The Help - Update Channels option does not tell you the current stable version number.

In this forum, their is a thread with the latest version, but but I do not think there is a  reference to the version number of the stable version.

The Download option at the top of this page does not make a distinction between the Stable and Latest version and I believe it downloads the latest version, not the stable version.  In Windows, the current stable version in .15, but the download page downloads .16, which is the latest version, not the stable version.  Maybe that is a mistake, but the Download page current has the latest version, not the most stable version. Plus it is not the place most people would go to download the stable version. They would do that from within the application.

Please check. I do not think there is anyplace in the application or in the forum to find out that the current stable version number on Windows . Again, if there is please tell me exactly where to look.

I am simply suggesting that adding the stable version number within the applications would be a nice addition.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »

I'm sure there is an obvious answer, but I'm not finding it.
I like to stick to the Stable channel releases.
How do I know which is the Stable V27?
(upgrade already paid for)
Thanks!

I translated the phrase "(upgrade already paid for)" to mean that the OP had not downloaded any version of MC27 because they were uncertain as where they could find the Stable Version. Therefore I told them where it was, admittedly I didn't provide a link to the download page nor did I say there was a link to it in the banner at the top of the forum.

As my posting you quoted shows the "Downloads Page" is the page you go to to Download The Current Stable Version and that page says it's 27.0.15 not 27.0.16 and if you press the download button 27.0.15 is what gets downloaded to your computer.

I am addressing how to find the actual version number of the current stable release.

As far as I know, there is no place within MC that tells you what the current stable version number is, which is what I was addressing.  The Help - Update Channels option does not tell you the current stable version number.

That extract from your own posting highlights a big difference between us - the "As far as I know" statement is an admission that you have done very little, if any, research into where the latest stable version of MC27 can be found. Whilst I did all of the necessary research before making my 1st posting in this thread.

As for this:-
Please check. I do not think there is anyplace in the application or in the forum to find out that the current stable version number on Windows . Again, if there is please tell me exactly where to look.

Reread the posting you quoted because it tells you exactly where to find the Version Number of the Latest Stable Version or even better click on the Link JimH provided and once that page is open click on the link to the Download Page.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 08:22:47 pm »

I am looking at this Download Page page at the top of the Forum. It is

https://www.jriver.com/download.html

For Windows, it links to .16. When you click on the link, it downloads .16.  There is no reference on that page to whether this version is the stable or latest version.   

When checking for updates on my current installed version on the MC application, MC indicates that I am up to date, with the stable version as .15.

Are you looking at some other download page or do you see something else on that page? And do you seem something different in MC when checking for updates on the stable app?  Note, I am using a system with .15 installed on Windows 10.

Yes, the Wiki link says it links to the stable version, but the link on the download page is the latest (.16), not the stable version (.15). Please check that detail.

And, my earlier references were to the MC application. I still do not see any way to see the version number of the stable version in the application without actually doing an install when you are do not have the stable version installed. Do you?

Please, take a deep breath and look at these details.  Maybe we are seeing different things, but I have done my homework.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 01:01:48 am »

Thanks, all. I do *think* I got my answer (stable releases on the download page).
And, yes, I paid for the upgrade whenever it was announced, but wait for a stable build before upgrading.
And unlike when you are within a major version, MC doesn't alert me to the latest stable release to install, when upgrading to the next major version.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 06:24:30 am »

MC Application now has the stable version at .16 - It was .15 yesterday within the player and .16 on the download page. So, it looks like both the Download page and the application now agree that .16 is the current stable version.

And, .18 is now the Latest version. It was posted yesterday while this discussion was in process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up